20 g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do I need to start a 20g saltwater. I am new to this and I don't know where else to ask.
HELP!!!!
And another question: how many fish can I add?? Thanks!!

Just curious, why are you wanting to start a saltwater tank? If you are new to it, freshwater will be much easier to start. Sorry if this doesn't help.

A general rule is: one inch of fish per gallon. For a 20 gallon tank, you can have a max. of 20 inch-long fish, 10 2-inch-long fish, etc.

A general rule is: one inch of fish per gallon. For a 20 gallon tank, you can have a max. of 20 inch-long fish, 10 2-inch-long fish, etc.

That "rule" is so outdated it's not funny. Please do t offer this as advice.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

No bad!!!! In a 20g saltwater tank you can fit 3-4 small >3" fish. The inch per gallon rule is a horrid thing. Op are you new to fish keeping or have you had a fw tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

People! People!
I need advice! On saltwater not freshwater! Why you guys have to go around the question. Just answer.
One thing I hate about the people in this blog.

Well, without knowing what you want to do with the tank I'm not sure what we can do to guide you in the right direction. Fish only tanks are quite different from reef tanks...soft coral are vastly different from SPS corals. You aren't really giving us much to work with.

In terms of fish, you should check out the 'nano section' of liveaquaria. They do a really great job with how many gallons fish need to be healthy and thrive. Once you figure out what fish you can't live without, you can build up from there in terms of what it can live with and so on.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I've been in the hobby for a while, but all sources I've seen have shown me that rule. Thanks for the enlightenment.

People! People!
I need advice! On saltwater not freshwater! Why you guys have to go around the question. Just answer.
One thing I hate about the people in this blog.

With this kind of attitude I'm surprised anyone will help you. See my previous post. I started to help you... As hank said what kind of tank do you want? What is your aquarium experience? You'll need about 1 lb per gallon of rock (base or live rock) and aragonite based sand. You'll want to use rodi water for the tank or you can buy it from a lfs. I'd run a hob filter (aquaclear 50) with purigen and a phosphate removing media. You'll need powerheads and a refractometer to measure salinity as well as a test kit

With this kind of attitude I'm surprised anyone will help you. See my previous post. I started to help you... As hank said what kind of tank do you want? What is your aquarium experience? You'll need about 1 lb per gallon of rock (base or live rock) and aragonite based sand. You'll want to use rodi water for the tank or you can buy it from a lfs. I'd run a hob filter (aquaclear 50) with purigen and a phosphate removing media. You'll need powerheads and a refractometer to measure salinity as well as a test kit

You don't understand what I am saying. Every time I post something it's always negative feedback.
Instead of answering the question or ask questions about my questions they just go around the bush. But I really appreciate your feedback. I really don't know how to start this tank. It's a puzzle for me.

You don't understand what I am saying. Every time I post something it's always negative feedback.
Instead of answering the question or ask questions about my questions they just go around the bush. But I really appreciate your feedback. I really don't know how to start this tank. It's a puzzle for me.

I'm sorry for a couple reasons. Not that I supplied negative feedback, but that I corrected false information. I am sorry I tried to respond while on night rotation as a volunteer firefighter. It's usually a pretty quiet time but severe cold has played a major impact on tonight. I am sorry other people came first. I am sorry you feel people are beating around the bush here, but I can't say I've seen that on your other threads.

Edit : I agree with others that unless you have a direction, it's hard to offer any help.
Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I don't see negative feedback anywhere. Incorrect information was supplied and then corrected. Theres absolutely nothing negative about that. Its a learning process, thats how people grow as aquarists.

As to your original question,

1. 1lb or so of rock per gallon
2. Use a refractometer over a hydrometer
3. Use ro/di water (when I had a 20g I was using distilled)
4. Fishless cycling works the same way in salt as it does fresh
5. Refugiums are a godsend. I would highly suggest one. Just be sure to drill the tank rather than use a hob overflow
6. If you want a reef then don't use api test kits for calcium and alkalinity.
7. Also if you want a reef you need very powerful lights. Taotronics are a good brand and will run you $100 or so. Make sure it's dimmable .

Back
Top Bottom