20 gallon high sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
20 Gallon High Sump Design Please Help!!

I have some questions as to how i should divide my 20 gallon sump for my 40 gallon breeder. I want a fuge and i have a skimmer that can hang off the side of the tank.

Would it work if I just had 3 baffles between my refugium section and my return section? I would just hang the skimmer off the refugium section.

Is there a more ideal way of setting up the sump so i can get the largest fuge possible?

I plan on having 11 or 12 inch tall 1/8 inch glass baffles.

i have a 20 gallon tall sump. first chamber has my drain from dt tank, skimmer, and heater. it is about 8 3/4" L 12" W 11" H then the bubble trap then return section. it is about 6" L 12" W 11" H then i have the next panel for the fuge. it is 7" L 12" W 13" H. hope that helps. there are pics in my build thread which is linked in my sig.

Hmm I think I'm wanting to do a linear flow design just to keep things simple. Thanks for the idea though. the tank looks great!

I have a 10g refugium for my 20g. I have the overflow draining into a 4" by 4" section in the back corner of the fugi leaving about 4" in the front of that. So my refugium is L shaped. I did that to max it out. then it goes into the return. hoped that helped

Yeah i think it did, thanks. I guess I'll just go ahead and keep it down to two sections. Now that i think about it a lot of saltwater aquariums just have a hang on back skimmer so I don't see any harm in doing it this way.

Many many smaller SW tanks, like yours, utilize a HOB skimmer. Leave it hanging in your display tank. What would you do with your Fuge area?

probably chaeto, live rock/rubble, some sand, some snails and hermits. I want to hide as much of my equipment as possible.

Back
Top Bottom