20 Gallon Nano-Reef/ need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum1serin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to start a 20H nano-reef, or so that's what I'm assuming we all call it.

Here's the thing.. I don't want to go to the LFS empty handed and have them try to sell me all this stuff under the sun that I don't need...

So I'm asking for advice..

What is a must... what do I need.... like equipment wise... :) Please help, because you guys are my only hope.... :)

thanks in advance!

Read the tips for maintaining you tank sticky thread at the top of the page. Tells you everything you need.

I would start with this.....

Skilter 250(order online, save 40$!). Modify it with a limewood airstone.

Sand and Live Rock, atleast 30 lbs of LR.

Heater.

Refractometer(important for nano reefs, hydro's dont cut it!)

Lighting....for your tank, 20 gal high....I would get the coralife 18" aqualight 96 watt retro fit kit...it is like 85$ at Hellolights.com.

That should get you started. Cycle with a peice of dead shrimp. Wait a month then add your stock if your water is good.

You could get a RO/DI system, but for a 20 gal you can buy enough water at the LFS to do your changes, but make your salt water at home, with the LFS's RO/DI water. They arent as careful as they should be when mixing the water some places!

SeeDemTails, pretty much hit the nail on the head. I go to the LFS and look around and see what they have, look online and order. Of course I generally ask here first for opinions....

Thank you so much! I read the articles, and was actually looking through all the options... heh.

So, I don't need a powerhead? Or does the Skilter take care of both the filtration and the skimmer?

And the retrofit... is that to convert an already existing hood?

thank you for your help already!

Now for stocking questions as well.. hehe.

I was def. thinking about a clown fish, one of the smaller breeds, I think it was the Clarkii or the Perc?

Figured a clean up crew as well- crab, shrimp... and maybe starfish? but is there a type of starfish that doesn't get too large, because I would hate to have a starfish in a tank too small for it.

I'm not looking for an extravagant tank filled with lots of fish.. just maybe one or two and maybe the clean up crew. I could be happy with just one fish and the live rocks and corals... Those are the neat ones. :D

Thanks for all the help already and more to come. :D

OH! P.S.... I may be loony, but I cant recall what it was... it reminded me of like one of those lil craft fuzz balls that was climbing the glass.. it was small and was purple.. I'm sorry for the horrible description, but anyone might know what that is and if it would be compatible?

I also have a 20 gallon nano reef, its about 6 months old right now. I'd recommend a powerhead especially if you're planning on ever having coral, but they're also just a good thing to have to keep water flowing in your tank. There's lots of fun fish you can put in a 20 gallon reef. I have a percula clownfish, a firefish, and a green clown goby, in addition to my clean up crew. Lots of fun things to watch. I'm just starting to put coral in my tank now, which is a big step. I also just installed a sump that I built myself. Have a good time with your reef, just remember to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom