20g Long stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently setting up a 20g long. It will have a 10g sump/refugium.
I have a green hairy mushroom and some tubbs blue zoa in a 10g that I will move over.

What kind of fish stocking combos are there? I would like bright colors. I would really like a green mandarin but thats way down the road when its established.

thoughts? ideas?

No way can a mandarin survive in a 10 due to their dietary needs. Just can't supply enough pods, even if they eat prepared foods. For a 10, the livestock that you can keep is limited...but a clown goby or something similar would do well in there.

In my 20 I have a pair of clowns, a royal gramma and a flametail blenny to give you an idea.

Do the clowns harass the gramma? Was gonna add one to my 20 with my pair of black ice clowns?

No my clowns just pick on each other. The blenny though is a jerk haha. Him and the gramma have little squabbles but nothing to bad. The gramma is the mellowest fish in my tank

Just to be clear, I'm stocking a 20g not a 10g but that makes sense.

So you don't think that I'll ever be able to create enough copepods in the 20g and 10g combined? :( that sucks

Also, if I have an established clown pair that I transfer to the 20g, could I still add a gramma? I heard that an established pair would kill any fish I add so I was going to rehome my current pair but if i don't have too that would be great.

They won't always kill them but it is a possibility ( clowns are mean) but IME if you add the new fish with the lights off and leave them off for a few hours after that usually helps. You can also float a breeder box with the new fish in it for a couple days so they get used to seeing each other

Lol tell that to my pair. They don't mess with any other fish. Grammas are great little fish

And mandarins don't have stomachs so they have to eat all day. Even if it eats prepared foods they have to fed often (3-4x a day). I've been keeping nano reefs for 7 years and haven't owned a mandarin even though they're one of my favorite fish :(

I was reading a website that had options for different gallon tank and what fish could work in it. On it, there is flame angel and coral beauty angel. Could they work in my tank?

I think the clowns, gramma and sixline would be fine. Just dont add them all at once and take your time. :)

I agree lol. My iPhone app kept failing and I couldn't respond to the thread

I was reading a website that had options for different gallon tank and what fish could work in it. On it, there is flame angel and coral beauty angel. Could they work in my tank?

You were reading igreens thread over on NR weren't you? So the thing about that is the people who have SUCCESSFULLY done this are very experienced reefers who keep pristine water quality and diligent maintenance routines. If you really consider a dwarf angel I would say a flame back or cherubs (both stay a little smaller) and ONE other fish that doesn't occupy the same swimming space as the angel, shrimp goby would be my recommendation. I personally wouldn't put an angel in anything smaller than a 40b , igreens states in the thread that those are the BARE minimum and bio loads should be planned accordingly (bigger fish = more poop)

Well I think I've decided on my 2 clowns, royal gramma, and six line wrasse for sure. What order should I add them? Should I move my clowns over first or what? Also, do you think I could sneak in a firefish or would that be pushing too far? I really like them but my wife doesn't so the gramma and wrasse tAke priority but I thought I'd ask.

Back
Top Bottom