20g Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got it set up tonight and rock water added

Question. Sal was 1.016 after about 15mins of adding the salt. Do I need to wait 24 hours for the rest to mix or should i go ahead and raise it to 1.025?

tank has 40lbs of Sand

I would say about 15 pounds of Rock. 12 gallons of water =/ but with that the lights come out to 6wpg. :dance::dance:

has 2 250gph PHs

Will dose up the ammonia tomorrow once everything settles down and I get the salt raised up.

Forgive me for the crappy pics.. iphone lol. PLus I did wipe down the glass =P

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 77
KevinM said:
So I got it set up tonight and rock water added

Question. Sal was 1.016 after about 15mins of adding the salt. Do I need to wait 24 hours for the rest to mix or should i go ahead and raise it to 1.025?

tank has 40lbs of Sand

I would say about 15 pounds of Rock. 12 gallons of water =/ but with that the lights come out to 6wpg. :dance::dance:

has 2 250gph PHs

Will dose up the ammonia tomorrow once everything settles down and I get the salt raised up.

Forgive me for the crappy pics.. iphone lol. PLus I did wipe down the glass =P

Hi,

Tank looks good. You want to create some type of surface agitation that will help raise the pH. I'd wait and then re test. Your in the cycling phase so it's not a major thing IMO.

Also did you mix it in the tank or a bucket? If you mix in a bucket use a power head and heater. Then usually some let it mix for a good day at best.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the tank. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Should I add an extra powerhead I have and let it flow on top of the water?

I mixed it in the tank since it was the 1st time, seems thats what everyone does. I do have a bucket to keep some mixed up for pwcs etc.

Im going to get a shrimp tomorrow and start, and do the 1st real testing of PH etc if this CaribSea stuff is anything like the Eco Complete I used in my puffer tank. wont take long(think puffer tank took 8 days to cycle with 4ppm of amnmonia)

KevinM said:
Should I add an extra powerhead I have and let it flow on top of the water?

I mixed it in the tank since it was the 1st time, seems thats what everyone does. I do have a bucket to keep some mixed up for pwcs etc.

Im going to get a shrimp tomorrow and start, and do the 1st real testing of PH etc if this CaribSea stuff is anything like the Eco Complete I used in my puffer tank. wont take long(think puffer tank took 8 days to cycle with 4ppm of amnmonia)

I don't think you need a 3rd power head maybe just mess with the placement of those 2 or 1 and try and get some surface movement.

ok I moved the one of the left of the tank to point more up, but left the right one point behind the rock to keep the flow going behind everything.

thanks for the help. 9 tanks up and running no worries. but this one has me worried for some reason , dont know why =/

ok Tested about 24 hours later, Sal was still around 1.016-.017 I added little less then a full cup of salt to tank.

PH was 8.1-8.2 on the API High PH test.

Im waiting on my GH/KH kit to get here, all I have are test strips with that on there. Didnt test calcium yet but will in 24 hours when I retest the salt.

once I moved that PH up more the top of the water is moving around like a hurricane lol even have a Whirlpool going

Tested this morning

Ph hasn't moved 8.2 it seems on the color code, should I try and get that up the .1 or is that going to be fine later on for the coral?

I dosed with ammonia and when I tried to do a ammonia test with my API kit, the water in the tube got kind of thick then turned this neon green color, so ill wait till my reef test kit gets here to do any more dosing

Salinity was high tho, think I added too much, was @ 1.031 or close to that, should I wait then drain off some water and add fresh ro to it? Or worry about the salinity after the cycle since il be doing a water change at the end?

The pH is fine. That's just what happens when you test ammonia w/ an API test kit, it's supposed to look like that. Can you identify what color on the color card it is or is it just way off or in between colors? I would lower the salinity now.

It was this strange really light neon green color, I'll try and get a pic when I get home in the am. When I also did my dw test it was go dark right away, I'll try my other ammonia test too maybe that bottle has gone bad

Ok thanks, ill take out a gallon or two and add some freshwater and try and get it back down to .025

Back
Top Bottom