30g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
added fish

I added two blue/green chromis yesterday. I got them in the tank around 7:30 last night. I used the float method for acclimating. left the lights off and pretty much didn't bother them at all for the rest of the night.

this morning they are as happy as can be :D I fed them at 8:30 and they both have a very healthy appetite :D I'll be adding a CUC today.
more pics to follow

Attachments

• new fish.jpg
    new fish.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 245
I added 4 chromis around the same time you added yours as well as a gold head gobby, but my chromis are a small size. I also kept the blue lights on only before tuning them all off when going to bed. They ate some flakes and all seemed very happy swimming around. My goby is more shy and was hiding behind the rocks all night. Let me know what sort of CUC you get and how they go, as I'm also thinking of adding some to my 55g soon.

Attachments

• image-1326336748.jpg
    image-1326336748.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 154
Paulm7373 said:
I added 4 chromis around the same time you added yours as well as a gold head gobby, but my chromis are a small size. I also kept the blue lights on only before tuning them all off when going to bed. They ate some flakes and all seemed very happy swimming around. My goby is more shy and was hiding behind the rocks all night. Let me know what sort of CUC you get and how they go, as I'm also thinking of adding some to my 55g soon.

I went to my lfs to pick up a CUC, unfortunately they didn't have much to offer (sometime this week they'll get a shipment in). So I ended up just getting 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 hermit. The cleaner shrimp is doing great and after 1 hour of him being in the tank he ate. The hermit has been hiding behind a rock since I put him in but he looks good.

image-80254937.jpg

That cleaner shrimp looks great. What sort of shrimp is he and how effective is he in cleaning? Do they just eat off the rocks or do they need to be fed something in particular? I picked a crab as a hitchhiker but not sure what type he is ad hard to get a full view of him to be able to ID him. What other fish do you have in your 30g?

That cleaner shrimp looks great. What sort of shrimp is he and how effective is he in cleaning? Do they just eat off the rocks or do they need to be fed something in particular? I picked a crab as a hitchhiker but not sure what type he is ad hard to get a full view of him to be able to ID him. What other fish do you have in your 30g?
The shrimp is a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. From what I understand about it it can clean fishes that are in your tank of ectoparasites or dead tissue. I did do some research on him but I pretty much got him today because I like how he looks in a tank. they do eat frozen food as well as flakes. they also need iodine supplements for molting and growing.
So right now its just the hermit crab that I have that'll be cleaning up the tank, that is until my lfs gets their shipment in later this week. I did see a crab at the lfs which one of the workers told me that it was a Strawberry crab I believe, I didn't buy it because I don't know anything about it.
the two chromis is the only fish I have in the tank right now as I just finished cycling. I plan on getting 2 clowns this weekend and then a 6 line wrasse later on.

So when feeding my fish should I turn the powerhead off or leave it on?

Love that scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp! How much did you get him for and does he really clean fish as well? How do they let him touch them? Can't wait to see your clowns and wrasse. I love wrasses and would have got one as my first fish if they were more peaceful. I definitely plan in getting one at some stage. There are so many beautiful fish available out there that it makes it hard to select a limited number without over stocking your tank when you only have a 55g!

So when feeding my fish should I turn the powerhead off or leave it on?

I just leave my powerheads on at all times when feeding. I've found the flow I get from the powerheads help circulate the food around the tank rather than landing on one spot. What sort of food are you feeding?

Love that scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp! How much did you get him for and does he really clean fish as well? How do they let him touch them? Can't wait to see your clowns and wrasse. I love wrasses and would have got one as my first fish if they were more peaceful. I definitely plan in getting one at some stage. There are so many beautiful fish available out there that it makes it hard to select a limited number without over stocking your tank when you only have a 55g!

the shrimp cost me about $20 the bigger ones cost a little bit more than that. I'm really digging this guy because hes all over the tank, jumping from rock to rock... great personality on him! I would guess that they clean fishes pretty good since fishes always go back to it for cleaning. Mine hasn't got there yet with my 2 chromis yet but hopefully it will. You can go on you tube and see a few videos of these shrimp cleaning fish, pretty cool to see.

I know what you mean with the stocking thing!! I only have a 30 gallon long and it took me a few weeks to figure out what I'm going to put into the tank and even now I'm still not 100% sure. Soooo many choices sooooo little space.

I just leave my powerheads on at all times when feeding. I've found the flow I get from the powerheads help circulate the food around the tank rather than landing on one spot. What sort of food are you feeding?

I figured as much, my fish just stay in one spot when its feeding time and wait for the food to come to them and they usually get all of it so leaving the powerhead on works out just fine. I just got a little worried at first because when I fed them the food was all over the tank.

I use flakes and frozen mysis to feed so far everyone seems to be okay with that.

I added another hermit crab yesterday as well as one strawberry crab. when I seen the strawberry crab the other day I wanted it so I went home and did some research and he turned out to be an ok addition so I bought one :).
I'll post pics when I get off work.

Opinions needed

So my 2 chromis have been in my tank for a few days now, along with 2 hermits, one cleaner shrimp and one strawberry crab. Today when I fed the fish the larger of the two chromis didn't really eat which since I put them in the tank he's usually out and eating as soon as I drop their food in. He's got a good hiding spot behind one of the rocks that is out of the current pretty much and is staying there for the most part. I can't get a good look at him because he won't come out. Should I be worried yet?

Tested the water a few minutes ago...

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 10ppm
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 77.4

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated

I would probably be not too concerned. If he's not resting on the ground or breathing heavily then perhaps he's a bit shy. One of my chromis is also hanging around behind rocks more than the other 3, but he comes out every now and then and eats. Your parameters sound fine, but I've been told PH needs to be slightly higher at around 8.4?

So its just been the one day that the Chromis didn't eat? I would just keep an eye on him. Chromis can be quite shy, they do better in groups of 3 or more. It's always possible that he's sick, though so keep me eye on him.
Your pH is fine. From what I've read, a steady pH is more important than a specific number. That being said, I wouldn't let it go below 8.0.
And just BTW, I love my cleaner shrimp!!!! They have so much personality and are always out. Mine even cleans the inside of my blenny's mouth!! LOL. He'll sit there with his big mouth open and let the shrimp clean. Haha The fish will periodically stop by the shrimp for a cleaning. If you hold still when you put your hand in the tank, he'll even clean your cuticles and hand!! My son had a small cut on his hand once and was putting the algae clip in the tank and the cleaner shrimp ran over there SO fast and jumped on his hand and started picking dead skin from the cut!!! It startled my son, but he said it didn't hurt. Love that shrimp!!! :dance:

Beengirl said:
So its just been the one day that the Chromis didn't eat? I would just keep an eye on him. Chromis can be quite shy, they do better in groups of 3 or more. It's always possible that he's sick, though so keep me eye on him.
Your pH is fine. From what I've read, a steady pH is more important than a specific number. That being said, I wouldn't let it go below 8.0.
And just BTW, I love my cleaner shrimp!!!! They have so much personality and are always out. Mine even cleans the inside of my blenny's mouth!! LOL. He'll sit there with his big mouth open and let the shrimp clean. Haha The fish will periodically stop by the shrimp for a cleaning. If you hold still when you put your hand in the tank, he'll even clean your cuticles and hand!! My son had a small cut on his hand once and was putting the algae clip in the tank and the cleaner shrimp ran over there SO fast and jumped on his hand and started picking dead skin from the cut!!! It startled my son, but he said it didn't hurt. Love that shrimp!!! :dance:

The Chromis didn't eat today either but he did come out of his hiding spot for a minute or so which gave me a chance to take a good look at him and didn't see any signs of sickness or anything so hopefully it's nothing.

I read the same thing about the pH levels. While cycling it hit 7.8 but its been a constant 8.0 since the cycle finished.

Super love the cleaner shrimp!! He actually tried to jump onto the fish that's been hiding today. I'm assuming to clean him but the fish took off lol. It was quite funny to watch! That's cool about what the shrimp did with your sons cut! Whenever my hand goes in the tank mines follows every move that I make! These guys are great!

Chromis can be quite shy at tes. They do better in groups of 3 it seems. I know you don't wanna do 3, though cuz that take up a lot of your stocking. Hopefully he adjusts soon and comes out to play. :)

shells?

does anyone know a good place where I can buy shells for my hermit crabs online?

Added 2 clowns

I added two clowns last night and came home today to a happy tank and the one Chromis that was hiding came out to play :D

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 129
Back
Top Bottom