30g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the response. Can I use bottled water to top off? I don't have a Ro/di unit yet

LOL I know what you mean!! I'm on day 7 of my cycle... long way to go

Day 7 water test:

pH - 7.8/8.0
Ammonia - 4.0ppm
Nitrite - 2.0/5.0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
Salinity - 1.026

What do you guys make of the results?? I only ask because I didn't think I would see trates this soon

Day 7 water test:

pH - 7.8/8.0
Ammonia - 4.0ppm
Nitrite - 2.0/5.0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
Salinity - 1.026

What do you guys make of the results?? I only ask because I didn't think I would see trates this soon

Results look promising. You're converting some ammonia to Trates already, that's good. And the ammonia is up to 4, so that's a good strong cycle. Still have a ways to go, but looks good!!

Question:
I have, what I can only describe as, is little white mites on the front of my tank. What are they?

Thanks Beengirl... Forgive the question but what purpose do they serve?

Also here are my test results from today...appears that the ammonia is on its way down.

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrites - 2.0/5.0ppm
Nitrates - 40ppm
Salinity - 1.025

Wow got pods that's a good look must have hitch hiked on your rock well hope they breed plentifully like that you won't ever have to buy :)

Thanks Beengirl... Forgive the question but what purpose do they serve?

Also here are my test results from today...appears that the ammonia is on its way down.

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrites - 2.0/5.0ppm
Nitrates - 40ppm
Salinity - 1.025

Copepods eat algae and tiny particles in the water that can contain toxins. So basically, they help clean. They also serve as food cuz a lot of fish will eat them.

Beengirl said:
Copepods eat algae and tiny particles in the water that can contain toxins. So basically, they help clean. They also serve as food cuz a lot of fish will eat them.

Oh ok! Initially I thought they would just be food for my CUC when i put them in there hahaha. Thank you for the knowledge it's greatly appreciated!! It seemed as if they showed up over night because when I woke up this morning they were everywhere and last night they were nowhere to be seen so I got a little nervous

HovaRockz said:
Wow got pods that's a good look must have hitch hiked on your rock well hope they breed plentifully like that you won't ever have to buy :)

I actually noticed a few things that hitchhiked on the rock. One of which I just seen yesterday that appears to be a really small crab but I'm not entirely sure. I can make out his legs on one side but where he's at in the tank I can't get a clear view of the body.

Should I be cleaning my canister filter during the cycling process?

I wouldn't during it, but when it's done you might wanna give it a quick clean since you used shrimp (right? I'm forgetful sometimes) there might be tiny pieces of shrimp in there.

Beengirl said:
I wouldn't during it, but when it's done you might wanna give it a quick clean since you used shrimp (right? I'm forgetful sometimes) there might be tiny pieces of shrimp in there.

Yea I used a shrimp and if there weren't any pieces of shrimp in my canister before there are definitely some in their now! I got home from work went to look at my tank and just so happen to see the moment when what's left of the shrimp got sucked into the powerhead and disperse throughout the whole tank! Lol. So I'll definitely cleaning out the canister once the cycle is complete

cycle is complete!!

I do believe that my tank has finished its cycle :dance:
todays test results:

pH - 8.0
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 40
salinity - 1.025

I guess I'll do a big water change then hopefully get some of the CUC in there this weekend!

There is a good test to see if you are truly done with your cycle. Add ammonia, pure ammonia, until your test reads 3ppm. Your tank should cycle that in about 24-48 hours. If it goes back down, and you see it go through all three phases and end with low trates, then you know. Good luck. Oh, on a side note, any diatoms yet?

Jmkb02 said:
There is a good test to see if you are truly done with your cycle. Add ammonia, pure ammonia, until your test reads 3ppm. Your tank should cycle that in about 24-48 hours. If it goes back down, and you see it go through all three phases and end with low trates, then you know. Good luck. Oh, on a side note, any diatoms yet?

I like that idea of adding ammonia to test, thanks. As far as the diatoms go, there is a bit on the sand but not much. There is also parts of my base rock that has some. I tried taking a pic but the camera didn't pick it up

Back
Top Bottom