Originally Posted by adzlovesu84
so we have a 36 gallon bow front tank that we are trying to get set up and i just have a few questions
1. what is the best light fixture to get for it
2. best kind of filter, hang on back or canister?
3. do we need a protien skimmer? and is that the item that does the current?
4. how much sand should i get?
5. how much live rock?
6. what type of fish can i have? and how many?
-we are wanting a bigger eye catching fish if possible and some little fish?
anything else that we need for it to be a great set up?
we are eventually going to have coral and that kind of stuff in there
Hey there ill answer some questions for ya.
1. If you want a reef I'd get one of the dimmable 120 watt eBay leds. They will suffice for that tank.
2. I wouldn't use a canister, a sump is the best but I'm guessing your tank isn't drilled. A hob
will suffice but a skimmer and rock will work just fine as well.
3. I say yes on the skimmer, look into hob
models from reef octopus, eshopps, bubble Magnus. You will need powerheads for current. Hydor koralias are great! You want about 20-30 x turnover of your tanks volume. So 720-1080 gph
with both of them.
4. Get around 40-50 lbs of aragonite based sand.
5. You will want at least 36 lbs of live rock, 50ish would be better.
6. Did you have any fish in mind. Most big fish like tangs, butterflies, foxface require a larger tank. You could do clowns, blennies, gobies, dottybacks, any of the smaller fish. The bigger ones require a much larger tank.
You will want to use rodi
water. Bulkreefsupply sells rodi
units. It will save you a lot of headache trust me.