39g Cadlight build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok just re stared my 39g cadlight saltwater tank. I added about 45lb of Fiji premium live rock and 40lb of live Fiji pink sand. My question is I have about 2"- 2 1/4 of sand is that to much for a deep sand bead?

If you are going for a deep sand bed, you're going to have to go considerably deeper. Otherwise, it's all up to your preference.

Qube said:
If you are going for a deep sand bed, you're going to have to go considerably deeper. Otherwise, it's all up to your preference.

So two is not considered a deep sand bed, but ill be ok with a two inch bed?

You need close to 6" for a DSB. 2 inches should be fine for a regular sand bed. You could go less if you wanted to as well.

Question it's day 5 of my build and I have been noticing that the tank has been looking like the water looks king of yellow is the sand or the live rock reflecting off the light and giving that look or what can it be? Please help thanks

One more question should I add the media now and if so what should I add? Also do I have my skimmer running?

Don't know what's causing the yellow color. But while you're cycling, you'll want your filter goin so that BB can build up in there. You don't need the skimmer going during cycle, though. Don't need light on either during cycle, will only contribute to algae. And with nothing in there, light not needed.

Beengirl said:
Don't know what's causing the yellow color. But while you're cycling, you'll want your filter goin so that BB can build up in there. You don't need the skimmer going during cycle, though. Don't need light on either during cycle, will only contribute to algae. And with nothing in there, light not needed.

What do I use carbon and ? ? ?

superdave07 said:
What do I use carbon and ? ? ?

Carbon might help. Chemipure might help. Might wanna figure out wht the problem is though, so it doesn't cause other problems down the line.

Just play around with it until you find something you like. I'm a big fan of the reef crest mode, although from time to time I switch over to the short pulse mode for a standing wave.

Qube said:
Just play around with it until you find something you like. I'm a big fan of the reef crest mode, although from time to time I switch over to the short pulse mode for a standing wave.

Ok thanks will try

Ok today is day 17 my reading are

Ammonia 0
Trites 0
Trates at 30

The trates been at 30 for about 4 days now, my question is should I be getting diatom bloom yet? Should the end of my cycle be ending

Some pics

image-3586807587.jpg

image-3497882411.jpg

image-2415005914.jpg

Sounds like your done your cycle. If you have no ammonia source anymore (shrimp removed or otherwise gone) then that's it. A 50% pwc and you should be good to go.

As for diatoms, that will normally come later. Once the Bactria in the sand bed build up and start consuming your silicates it'll show for a bit then normally go away

I would sart by adding 1 fish, then wait a week or two to add another fish... And so on. But with that first fish, you could add in a few CUC members. Few astrea snails, a conch, couple banded trochus snails, few hermits. They'll start on any algae ya got in there. So what kinda fish ya thinking of??

Beengirl said:
I would sart by adding 1 fish, then wait a week or two to add another fish... And so on. But with that first fish, you could add in a few CUC members. Few astrea snails, a conch, couple banded trochus snails, few hermits. They'll start on any algae ya got in there. So what kinda fish ya thinking of??

Ok so I didn't have a diatom bloom at all is that normal? Also I want to add a pair of clowns, goby, But start with a pair of chromis and first my CUC

Ingy said:
As for diatoms, that will normally come later. Once the Bactria in the sand bed build up and start consuming your silicates it'll show for a bit then normally go away

So don't worry about the diatoms, diatoms is die off right so I know the yellow water I have is from the die off of the live rock so the sand will also do the same? With the diatoms will that effect the fish and CUC?

Back
Top Bottom