40B Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's really hard to tell just by looking at it. You will need to check how the water flows around the rocks by following larger particulates and seeing how they move

Looks like everything kinda blows to the left over the top of the rocks until the middle and than does a downward left loop around the left side of the tank looks like there might be dead spot behind the left rock arc structure.

So see if you guys can help me bought this skimmer of ebay for really cheap just got it in and notice that it missing a little piece that goes over the air line and wanted to know if you guys knew what it did and what I can do to replace it or mod it.

Also here a picture of it assembled and I notice that the intake sits just under the return were as the pictures have it couple inches lowered is this an issue and can it be fixed.

here is link to one like a bought with picture

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PROTEIN...525665360?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item56450cf850

So got some test strips I am at Day 4 of my tank and I am at

colors kind hard to read so here is best interpretation.
Nitrate 0-20
Nitrite 0-.5
Alkalainity 300
pH 7.8
Ammonia .5-30

Also my yellow Damsel started turning grey acting weird was like bouncing on the bottom now it on if side under a rock.

So got some test strips I am at Day 4 of my tank and I am at

colors kind hard to read so here is best interpretation.
Nitrate 0-20
Nitrite 0-.5
Alkalainity 300
pH 7.8
Ammonia .5-30

Also my yellow Damsel started turning grey acting weird was like bouncing on the bottom now it on if side under a rock.

You should get an API saltwater master test kit. It's readily available and is more accurate that your strips. They come in little tubes and you mix chemicals with your aquarium water for better results.
Damsel is acting weird because cycling process has kicked in. The ammonia is making it difficult for her to live in your tank. She will be hiding more in the rocks because they are natural filter.

Okay I installed my Skimmer yesterday and I hate it look huge on the back of my 40 gallon breeder and it blows bubble (which I hear is temp) here some pics

2013-08-17

2013-08-17

So I think I want to move the skimmer to a sump kinda of an eye sore, but the only issue is i have only 14 x16 x 22 but the only thing I can find to fit that is a 5 gallon tank so I was thinking of just making a skimmer sump since I have such a small foot print any ideas?

No you will need a valve that has a screw cap so you can adjust the airflow. It looks like u got just a regular tee fitting on it that wont work. Here is a photo of one I had it was a seaclone 100 I used it on my 40 gallon and had nothing but problems bubbles never stopped noise was too much and it rarely skimmed if u have the money I would look into a reef octopus skimmer they are all I use and I have never had a pbroblem. Attached pic of valve on skimmer for you good luck

image-514820646.jpg

No you will need a valve that has a screw cap so you can adjust the airflow. It looks like u got just a regular tee fitting on it that wont work. Here is a photo of one I had it was a seaclone 100 I used it on my 40 gallon and had nothing but problems bubbles never stopped noise was too much and it rarely skimmed if u have the money I would look into a reef octopus skimmer they are all I use and I have never had a pbroblem. Attached pic of valve on skimmer for you good luck

View attachment 192871

Yeah I dunno even if its a t valve it still a valve that open and closes air control just as an extra outlet but it still controls airflow. its calming down now and I have the bubbles right at the rim of the cup. I more trying to figure out how to make a sump with the room I have in my cabinet.

I would look into aqueon sumps or nextreef they carry some sumps that might fit what you need I run a sump only on my 100 long and have no problems I know nextreef and aqueon carry smaller as well as large sumps

Back
Top Bottom