55 gallon build? ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ice fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright so....been bouncing the biocube idea and the 75gal idea around and it seems the dwarf moray eel i want from what im told isnt going to be able to fit in one (im sure others will agree?) so...my new "brilliant" idea is why not meet in the middle with a 55 gal tank that i can host both small fish i want and reef with no issues. what do you guys think? id like to get a estimate on the price of a set up and list of what ill need for a dwarf fuzzy lion fish and golden moray along a few fish like mandarin goby. and also as to what i need that i can get away with for now till i get more money to start cycling. im just throwing out ideas right now im still interested in the cube but ill see what people suggest for this

bigger is always better :p

if you're gonna go 55, go 75 if you can. same length and height as a 55 just deeper. and you may be able to do more stuff.

ice fish said:
ugh you guys are killling me with this lol....its impossible to choose anything

Lol i feel your pain. There really is not much if any cost difference between a 55 and 75 besides the actual tank cost slightly everything else mostly the same.

i just got contacted by a person selling there already set up 55 gal tank with a few nice fish in it for 400. what do you guys think? ill give you specs and possible pics when i get them. the specs they gave me are, the tank stand,skimmer,filter,live rock,live sand,royal gamma,bonded pair of clown fish, 3gary snails, a wrasse, and a few hermit crabs. ill get pics when i talk next but you think i could even possibly trade those in for better fish?

Depends what type of equipment is involved... If the stuff isnt very good then 400 is high :/ nice fish tho :)

Dont forget lighting. Thats one of the biggest investments in a reef. Just dont forget, buying used stocked tanks can come with an entire history of problems. Not something i would always recommend to a new reefer but if the price is right sometimes its worth the risk.

the equipment is what i want to know the most because thats the most expensive....plus ill be more then likely gutting out the setup and starting out new. maybe keeping a few of the fish if i like them. but once i get a reply back ill let you know the equipment

If you can hold out for a 75g do it. I have a 55g reef and wish I had a 75g. The only reason I did it was I already had the 55. The size difference front to back doesn't seem like much but when your doing your rockscape it is a huge benefit to have that extra few inches to play with. A 55g can be done but a 75 is better. Another thing to keep in mind is if you do go 55g chances are if you upgrade down the road to a 75 all you need to buy is the tank. Everything should be transferable and fit a 55 a 75 or a 90. Avoid a 90 as its taller and may require better lighting depending on what's in the tank.

two new people replied to my post now and i have 1 thats selling a 45 gal tank with stand, fluval 405 filter 3 hydor power heads protien skimmer for a 125 gallon tank, headter with digital readout coralife t5 high out put compact fluorescent lights 4 tubes 2 actinic blue 2 10000k 120 pounds of purple live rock and some extras. the other is a 55 gallon cube with alot of live rock crushed coral base, some live coral and a few species of clown fish and damsels and a canister filter. both i can buy for about 350. suggestions?

Both for 350? Sweeeeeet. I would do it. Or are each of them 350? What does the 55g have for lighting? If the 55 has t5ho, metal halide or led lights get that over the 45 for sure. I would still likely get the 55 but get rid of the damsels they are evil little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom