55 Gallon or 120 gallon help me decied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
OKs I am ready to purchase my tank? Both the 120 and 55 gallon are used. They both come kitted out so I can get on with my build. This will be my first build. Should I stay with a smaller 55 gallon or go with the 120.
I am concerned that the 120 may be to big for my first build. I am going to be setting up this as reef system.

So please lets hear your suggestions. Remember this will be my very first Saltwater build and I want to do a reef system. Starting with FOWLR then progressing to reefs.

I look at it this way.. if you have the funds to go with a 120.. go 120.. it will be more forgiving as far as water parameters will go.. more maitenence... but more enjoyable...... if you have about 2-3k to set into a 120.. for a reef tank.. go for it..

Keep in mind that this isn't a cheap hobby. Moving from a 4ft to a 6ft will have a $$ impact on your startup costs (unless they come with everything, lighting/LR/Skimmer/heaters/etc).

While bigger is better from an ongoing maintenance/stability perspective not to mention those that stick with the hobby will generally upgrade to a 6ft tank, the startup costs can be quite dramatic.

If cost isn't an issue, go with the 120. Because, if you don't, after about 6 months you'll be hitting yourself if you dont. But, the price difference for startup costs (if it's not fully complete) will be a big impact.

Many SW fish require 70 to 100 gallon aquariums. Blue and Yellow Tangs for example.

A step ladder is the solution to being a height challenged person.

Like everyone said go with 120 if cost is not important the more water volume for a reef tank the healthier the reef because your water parameters will not change as quickly. Plus like ezy said more room for bigger fish now i have a yellow tang in my tank yea but its not recomended some say go for it some say its to small everyone has diffrent oppions i think they need 75 but i wanted the fish lol but yea go with the 120 just be prepared to invest alot of money in filling it up with live stock.

Back
Top Bottom