75G Build, First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a mini-update

I decided to order a refractometer off eBay. Got the link off of a post carey had made somewhere else lol. Thanks!

I'm also considering an auto top-off system. I've been looking them up and they don't seem all that hard to make, and it would also keep my salinity very stable. My only concern would be the float switch somehow failing and causing a flood, but I'm working on a design with a few friends of mine that are engineers that might put in a little safety shut-off device to prevent such an occurrence (y)

Alright guys, so I came home and found my bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only in the fridge. My mother had received the package, and the instructions said to keep refrigerated. I must say, I was very impressed with how Foster's and Smith sent them (packed with a bunch of cold packs).

Anyways, I put them in the tank just now (6oz in total). I would've tested the water beforehand to be able to write a thorough review, but I'm studying for a massive Neuroscience test tomorrow morning lol. I should be able to perform a water test after I get back from the university tomorrow, and I'll let you guys know how the cycle's coming along after adding One and Only.

Alright, so I was finally able to test my water. One day after adding the One and Only, here are my levels:

Ammo: 0 ppm (yay!)
Nitrite: 5 ppm (whoa!)
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
SG: 1.027

image-730024516.jpg

I was thinking about maybe a water change tomorrow. What do you guys think? (oh and for anyone not entirely caught up, this is a fishless cycle with curing live rock)

I also went ahead and tested the SW from my LFS, just to be sure that it was of good quality, and was pleased with the results. Ammo, nitrite, and nitrate were at 0 ppm, and the pH was at 8.2

image-2712644588.jpg

Yay, you're getting there!
No point in doing the PWC really, unless you can't do a large water change at the end to get the nitrates down. But it won't hurt anything.

Your nitrates look a lot higher than 10 to me also lol.. judging from that picture maybe around 40.

scottayy said:
Your nitrates look a lot higher than 10 to me also lol.. judging from that picture maybe around 40.

Haha yea the colors look a bit darker in the photo, but when I hold up the actual test tube with a white background, it matches up with 10 ppm. Maybe 20 at the very highest, but it looks a lot more like 10 to me. The nitrite also looks almost black in the photo, but it's somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm (I find those two shades on the test to look very similar)

I just performed another water test, and I must say, I am very impressed with Dr. Tim's One and Only. Here are the results of today's tests:

Ammo: 0 ppm
Nitrite : 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
SG: 1.027

Since this is my first time cycling a SW tank, I can't be sure that the One and Only sped it up that much, what I do know is my nitrite dropped from 5 ppm to 0.25 three days after adding it, and that makes me quite happy. Oh and again, the test tubes look a good deal darker in the photo.

If my readings keep steady for a while and my nitrite drops down to 0, I might order a CUC from reefcleaners so I could get it in on Friday. Do you guys think I should toss a shrimp or two in there to give the bacteria an ammonia source until then? Or would the continued die off from the live rock be enough? (there's still quite a big of dying plants, gunk, etc...)

Attachments

• image-2048124572.jpg
    image-2048124572.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 103
As long as you have an ammonia source in there you'll be fine. Congrats on your almost finished cycle!

I just looked up some of the older posts on this thread, and I set up my tank on the 13th. That would put me at 11 days into my cycle and it's looking like I'm well on my way :D. Gotta keep testing though. Once it's all finished I'll look at my old posts and give a little summary of my cycling experiences, and my thoughts on BioSpira and Dr. Tim's One and Only.

Anyways, do you guys think ordering a CUC once I'm cycled would be a good idea? If so, what size? I plan on ordering one of those quick crews off of reefcleaners.org...

My hope is that those nitrites might drop down to zero in the next couple of days, and I might be able to do a big water change and add the CUC on Friday.

I ordered the 40 gallon breeder package with hermits. And I've got plenty. Couldn't imagine getting a crew for a 75 gallon.

Reefcleaners really did a good job. If you can order an emerald crab or two at the same time.

I ordered the 40 gallon breeder package with hermits. And I've got plenty. Couldn't imagine getting a crew for a 75 gallon.

Reefcleaners really did a good job. If you can order an emerald crab or two at the same time.

Thanks! But do you think that my tank would provide them with enough food? If I remember correctly, your tank isn't all that much older than mine, have you been able to sustain your CUC? I've got tons of decaying stuff on my live rock, so I definitely want some critters to start tidying up for me lol...

Back
Top Bottom