75G Build, First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My reefcleaners shipment got here today and man you guys weren't kidding when you said they send a ton of stuff. It's really hot out there, and I got them right when they came, but the water was still really warm, but it looks like most of the CUC got here in good shape. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-3373390606.jpg
    image-3373390606.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1456671277.jpg
    image-1456671277.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image-4277227369.jpg
    image-4277227369.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-544101542.jpg
    image-544101542.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3708001497.jpg
    image-3708001497.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 94
Very nice! I was very pleased with my order too. And they went straight to work.

Very nice! You local? I am in the Hagerstown area, my snails just reproduced, I have a ton of the little buggers now if you ever are in need of them.

scottayy said:
Very nice! I was very pleased with my order too. And they went straight to work.

Cool! I'm ordering the CUC for my future biocube from them. Just got my upgrade from LA (15 more snails, 10 more hermits, and a cleaner shrimp) for my 90 gallon.

Greenturtle said:
Cool! I'm ordering the CUC for my future biocube from them. Just got my upgrade from LA (15 more snails, 10 more hermits, and a cleaner shrimp) for my 90 gallon.

Good choice. I couldn't be happier with them. I emailed the company after I placed the order to ask about shipping and the owner got back to me right away. Really nice guy.

NanoNerd said:
Very nice! You local? I am in the Hagerstown area, my snails just reproduced, I have a ton of the little buggers now if you ever are in need of them.

I just googled Hagerstown and if it's the one in Maryland then I'm nowhere near you lol.

I'm down in Miami, dealing with the blistering heat.

Lol must me nice! What I would do to be on a nice sunny beach right now! Box up some sun shine and send it to me cod ok? Lol

NanoNerd said:
Lol must me nice! What I would do to be on a nice sunny beach right now! Box up some sun shine and send it to me cod ok? Lol

Lol only if you can send me a nice batch of snow!

Ah the beauty of using a QT. It would appear as if both my clowns have contracted a case of ick. Hardly noticeable, but I've faced this scourge before (in freshwater). The white spots are much smaller than I'm used to seeing though, they're sugar sized rather than salt sized. I'm just really glad I'm seeing it in my QT and not in my display tank!

So what's the recommended treatment? I've got Rid-Ich+ on hand (a formaldehyde/malachite green solution). Should I use that? Raise temps? I know how to treat ick in freshwater, but never had to do it in SW. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Patterson, go to the articles section of this site and under saltwater I think there is a discussion on how to treat it. From what I have gathered, you can do a copper treatment or lower the salinity. I have not had to deal with it (yet) so I can't say which is better but it appears most people choose to lower that salinity. Especially since they are already in the QT. Good luck.

Thanks, I just found the article. I think I'm going to give hypo a try, since I've got a refractometer on hand. Gonna replace about 25% of the water with RO/DI now.

I just measured the SG and it's down to 1.022. I think I was a bit heavy handed with my last top off. I had been using a hydrometer before, and I think I was getting faulty readings due to air bubbles getting trapped. Now I'm thinking that my somewhat hypo water may have stressed my poor clowns out =(

Alright, just did the water change and now my SG is down to 1.015.

I'll do another one tomorrow and hopefully I'll get down to 1.009. I'll keep everyone posted.

Its been awhile since I have had to deal with ick but I believe the 2 common ways to treat are copper and hypo. I have done both. Hypo requires a bit more time, lowering the Sg to a 1.010 and keeping it there for 5-7 weeks.

Copper: I going to have to re read my notes lol

Then there is another way that people seem to think is Crüel. I have successfully completed

This way basically explodes the little buggers and quick. Using fresh water and ph riser. In a 10g fill with fresh water and match the PH and temp of the main tank.
Then place the fish in to the tank for a very brief time... Around 2-4 mins. Keep an eye on their respiration. Then once completed just take them out with a soft net and replace in the QT. Rise the temp to around 85 and no lights for a few days. Once the dip is complete you should see a significant decrease of ick on the skin. I had done this method several times and it's not a common treatment among the hobby.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm going to try a freshwater dip, like NanoNerd suggested. Can this be done in conjunction with the hypo treatment I just started?

both of them work, so I do not think that a FW dip would be needed if you are already doing hypo.

If you started the hypo I would suggest following though with the hypo for 5-7 days then slowly start adding salt to Sg of 1.028. Then see how things look and wait a few days the. Do the FW dip. To much stress right now could just make thing worst. You don't by chance have gravel or sand in your QT do you?

If you started the hypo I would suggest following though with the hypo for 5-7 days then slowly start adding salt to Sg of 1.028. Then see how things look and wait a few days the. Do the FW dip. To much stress right now could just make thing worst. You don't by chance have gravel or sand in your QT do you?

Nope, no sand or gravel in the QT. I keep it really bare, though I might toss a piece of PVC in there just so that the fish have another little hiding spot.

Great, only was asking cause if you had to try copper it's 99% impossible to get copper removed from media.

Back
Top Bottom