90 Gallon Saltwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will want a larger pump than the aqualifter for the ATO. Perhaps a maxijet 900. What kind of evap are you seeing daily?

Thanks Doug. Hope ur doing better.

It seems about 2 gallons/ day. I am going to add glass cover for the DT. It should slow it down and stop the jumpers.

I do have maxijet 600 and 1200. I thought they will be too powerful. My return section is 7"X18"x runs at about 8" of water. About 2 inch's above the pump.

They are not too powerful. the ATO will shut the pump down when it's at the correct height. Just make sure you have the top off container positioned correctly so you don't get a siphon or back siphon happening when the pump shuts down (just like a return pump).

mr_X said:
They are not too powerful. the ATO will shut the pump down when it's at the correct height. Just make sure you have the top off container positioned correctly so you don't get a siphon or back siphon happening when the pump shuts down (just like a return pump).

Lol! Ya I learned that lesson with return pump the day I set up the tank.
I am doing to use 5 gallon water jug for RO water and will be positioned below the sump height. The pipe in the sump will sit 2" above the water level. So incase too much fresh water is dumped in it will syphon back the extra.

I had paid 20$ for the aqualifter pump so I will return that and use the maxijet 1200 I have.

Thanks Doug.

I am also struggling with the waterhole issue.
I have 2x koralia 3 powerheads(850gph) on opposite sides. And 650gph return. This seems to blow too much on corals. It destroyed 90% the bubble coral. I If I turn The one next to return line off it is gentle flow. Seems not enough flow.
Any suggestions on positions the powerheads and where do I point them at.

Appreciate any help.

Here is the tank view and powerheads position.

Attachments

• image-3555622018.jpg
    image-3555622018.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 180
needmorecowbell said:

Should help.

Thanks for the links!
I do follow newyorksteelo. I just wanted to know what it was. Worm or something else.

Diatoms have started to show up on new sand. Bit late after 10 days or do.

its gas of some sort, he talks aobut it in his vid.

luckily diatoms are a good sign in this case, it means everything is moving like its supposed to. they go away fast.

Heera said:
I am also struggling with the waterhole issue.
I have 2x koralia 3 powerheads(850gph) on opposite sides. And 650gph return. This seems to blow too much on corals. It destroyed 90% the bubble coral. I If I turn The one next to return line off it is gentle flow. Seems not enough flow.
Any suggestions on positions the powerheads and where do I point them at.

Appreciate any help.

I position mine to hit a tank wall and deflect making a circulation pattern. I never point them directly at anything.

Urgent!
I am able to get Moorish Idol for 70$. Trained on eating frozen food.
Should I get him or no?

Attachments

• image-782829207.jpg
    image-782829207.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2251239431.jpg
    image-2251239431.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
Haha or you can get the totally reef safe, cheaper (35), and just as beautiful fish called the false morish idol. (schooling bannerfish) ;)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha or you can get the totally reef safe, cheaper (35), and just as beautiful fish called the false morish idol. (schooling bannerfish) ;)

Lol. I had a weaker moment seeing him dance around. I know my 90 gallon is not big enough for him.

I have had one koralia 3(850gph) running and the return line on the other side. It's not enough water flow but everything seems to be fine.

needmorecowbell said:
Its fine for a fowlr but not reef. Actually, some softies would be good with it also.

I guess ur right.

But when I have both powerheads on with return pump( 850x2 + return rated for 900gph) it seems too much for hammer coral and anthelia's. Even the fish hide.

Let's do pics.
Ok with a powerhead and return.

Attachments

• image-4020108365.jpg
    image-4020108365.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 124
theres no such thing as too much flow, just too much direct flow. your problem might be that they are pointing out in the open too much. try bouncing them off rocks and walls.

Back
Top Bottom