90 Gallon Saltwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. Have you considered building your own glass tank? I have built hundreds of them. It is a lot easier than even working with acrylic.

That would be another good way to get one. that way it could be customized to the way you want it. Its pretty easy and in your situation, it would probably be cheaper. it would have been more expensive for me.

Gregcoyote said:
Okay. Have you considered building your own glass tank? I have built hundreds of them. It is a lot easier than even working with acrylic.

You mean to cut and build a tank? That would be cool but I have no tools. Where I get glass? Isn't it expensive.

Heera said:
You mean to cut and build a tank? That would be cool but I have no tools. Where I get glass? Isn't it expensive.

If you can find a commercial mass produced tank that suits you, that is cheapest. Otherwise, you order the proper thickness for your tank depth from the glass shop and have the edges ground on their machines with all the panels cut to proper dimensions. I dont suggest cutting the glass youself, especially if it is thick. The edges need to be dressed to provide a good bonding surface and to keep you from cutting yourself. Clean and degrease the glass, then use a potable silicon adhesive and glue that puppy together. Several techniques for producing nice looking seams, but in a sump, you aren't that picky. Hold the tank together with painters tape until it cures. Trim excess silicon away where it squeezes out of seams. Apply a bead on all inside seams and you are done.

I have found the tank from local reefer. $45.
I will pick up on Friday. So build over weekend.

My nitrates are up at 30. I did 40 gallon water change 4 days ago. Tested today it's 25 again.
What's going on. I never had nitrates this high ever?
Ammonia and nitrite -0

It could be a lot of things.. Feeding, too much livestock, not enough beneficial bacteria, not enough rock/filtration, etc. I would do 20 gallon weekly water changes until it gets lower and you can figure out what's going on.

Also, ask an lfs of they can compare tests with you. It could be your kit.

needmorecowbell said:
It could be a lot of things.. Feeding, too much livestock, not enough beneficial bacteria, not enough rock/filtration, etc. I would do 20 gallon weekly water changes until it gets lower and you can figure out what's going on.

Also, ask an lfs of they can compare tests with you. It could be your kit.

My live Rock is few years old 100 lbs. and sand moved from old tank too. I will do few more water changes. Also will test at LFS to compare.
Almost feel like using the magic pull to drop nitrates to 0.

I wouldn't use chemicals yet. Ive never heard of that though.. Is it an enzyme or something? Try feeding every other day, or just less daily. I feed every other day and my nitrates are undetectable.

Nitrate seems to be stabilizing. At 15 now. 30 gallon water change on thursday and Sunday should do the trick.

Also found few things perk up on the rock. Button polyps, purple mushroom.

Found this on the overflow box wall.
White zip zags.

Attachments

• image-1751191593.jpg
    image-1751191593.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 67
My guess would be cerith as they commonly breed. Most likely, the majority will become fish food. Further than that, I'm unsure anything to do to help them survive longer.

needmorecowbell said:
Fish love snail eggs. I had snail eggs in my tank, but they didn't look like thatS

How about if I move them to my sump.
Very little water flow. Low light. And no fish. Would that help?

needmorecowbell said:
I guess, I've never bred snails but they would definitely do better there.

Yes I have moved the rock in the sump. So far eggs still there.

I got 7 frags from a reefer today. Just finished adding them to my tank after acclimation.
Candy coral - pink + green
Leather coral
Plate coral
Pulsing xenia
Few others will post pics tomorrow.
So excited. :)

Nitrates are at 10. Another water change today. Goal is 5. Until than water changes every week.

But guys I have a another big problem!!!
One of the clownfish had his fin bitten like month ago. But today his whole fin seemed to be gone. What do I do???

Attachments

• image-3071219622.jpg
    image-3071219622.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom