90 Gallon Saltwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
What do you mean by regular light? Everything else sounds great!

Just 2 bulbs of regular energy saver swirl bulb.
2 x 15w=65 watt.

Attachments

• image-1099927648.jpg
    image-1099927648.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 45
The main reasons for this as I said;

1. Low nitrate - so I can do 20%monthly water change

2. Pods - want to have one/pair of MANDARINS 6 months down the road. System have about 100 lbs of Rock already.
I will be adding; 30 to Main tank
15 drain skimmer section
15 lbs to the refuge.
So will have about 160 lbs in the end. My rock is very porus and light weight so good surface area.

Attachments

• image-2892097653.jpg
    image-2892097653.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 84
That will be good then, but it will take some time to get enough do a pair. I'm not sure what the color temperature is on the lights, but look for warm lighting.

Anyone kept mandarins for long term?

Sold my BTA today to LFS owner for his personal tank. He really loved the color and size. :)

I've kept a dragonet longterm.. A scooter Blenny. They eat the same way and are in the same family. I leaned it on to mysis and live brine when I had it.. It didnt turn out well. He went on a hunger strike a few weeks after I made my sump. I didn't know until it was too late and found him with a collapsed stomach. Some people are successful with them, Carey for example. But she also had a lot of problems with hers.

I have been sucessful so far with both my mandarin and scooter. I've got them both eating frozen food but it took about a month of time EACH to get them eating it. Luckily I had enough pods in my tank during the weaning or else they both would have starved.

The mandarin is an eating machine, I can;t imagine having two of them competing for food as they are the most delicate dainty eaters. lol

AS I';ve read though getting them to eat frozen and KEEPING them eating it are not a definite as they can go back to pods at any time. I also bought an ORA mandarin which i think was helpful in getting her eating frozen. I spend about 10 minutes or more each feeding watching them to make sure they are eating, plus I shut the flow down as they are not very aggressive grabbing food. They are slow and methodical.

I went to the LFS today and they had mandarins for 19.99$. I stood there for 15 mins watching them move around carefree just dazzling people with their colors.
Almost gave in and bought one. It was so hard to hold back.

When I asked him if they were eating frozen foods. He said,"sure they eat frozen, they been in the tank here for 2 weeks if they didn't eat frozen they be dead by now".

What u say about that?

Lol I guess thats true.. If he doesn't have pods in the tank. They're cheap because they are easy to get, my scooter was 10$. Still don't do it, your tank isn't ready yet. Youll always be able to find them and they won't be expensive. Like I said, my scooter went on strike for a while. It doesn't mean it will keep eating frozen, it just means your Job is a little easier.

Thanks guys.

It's $10 or free it's all the same. Life is life.
So i won't get it if i can't take care for them.

URGENT RESCUE! Plz help!

Fish in bad shape really beaten up.

I replied to craigslist ad Selling cleaner shrimp for 10$ cause he is moving.

I WAS HORRIFIED BY WHAT I SAW.

90g Running For 2 yrs. He sold his live rock 2 days ago.
Now had;
cleaner shrimp- looks ok. $10
coral beauty- beaten up bitten. $25
tomato clown - ok $15
yellow tang $40- NO FINS AND HALF TAIL. I got so angry that why he let things go this far and didn't do anything. He said he had pink purple color fish beating on them. Not sure what it was but he sold it to the guy who bought rock.

Than he tells me it's not that bad just missing fins. Otherwise fish are healthy. What!

I was so upset I bought everything and he wouldn't take less than 80$. All I had was 70$ on me so i give him that to rescue the fish.
Fish are now acclimating, shrimp in separate container drip 2drops/sec.

Is it safe to add them to my system or do quarantine?
I only have 20 gallon hospital tank. That i am setting up now.

Should I move them all there?

Plz help!!!!!!!

The tang won't survive, if it's really in that bad of shape, it's going to die soon. You won't be able to put all of those fish into quarantine, it's just not possible. I'm sorry that I can't help you much.

I had set up 20 gallon and moved them all in.
In the morning I went to friends and picked up 2 10 gallon tanks.
10g - clownfish
10g - corals beauty
20g- tang

Pics from last night.

Attachments

• image-1707413683.jpg
    image-1707413683.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 68
Grats on being a good person and resuing those poor fish! It's unbelieveable how some people treat their animals. Just appalling.

I;m glad the tang is eating, just baby those guys and you might have a great shot at them all doing well.

Good luck, and thanks for doing what you did. :)

The tang looks a lot better than I imagined it to be, as long as everything is eating, it is healing. The other fish look fine. You could probably put them into the main in like 2 weeks. The tang will probably take longer, it's important to keep it stress free, the tang could easily get ich.

Thanks Carey and Needmorecowbell

I have them eating now but how can I be sure they are disease free? So I can add coral beauty to my tank.

I noticed white blotches on them almost thought velvet but they would be dead by now if it was.

Just going to do water change and add skimmer today. Since it going to be a while.

THE TANG- doesn't it resemble lateral line disease?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Heera

Its probably ich. Don't add them to your tank if there are white spots. Since your quarantining you can dose copper, which will kill it fast. Don't let any of the water get into anything with coral, it will kill it along with the live rock. I don't think it is hlle, just a lot of fin nipping, you could make a thread on it to make sure though.

Congratulations on qting, you made your life soo much easier :)

Big white splotches could be stress spots . If you do think it is ick and decide to treat it hyposalinity would be much easier on the fish than copper.

I have seen ick. Sugar size white spots.
These are bigger .

Bad pic but u can on clowns head between eyes it's 2 circles but cover most of that area.

Attachments

• image-988220179.jpg
    image-988220179.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom