Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Well it's the tail end of summer and I haven't added anything let alone done any maintenance. The survivors continue to grow and look good however the red slime was annoying me so I sucked it all out during a roughly 40% water change, It looks so clean again. Hopefully with a good cleaning including the skimmer and new media in the reactors things will improve more. It's been about 4 months since I've touched the tank hoping for things to stabilize some on their own which it appears to have. I also plan on adding some new powerheads, gonna go for broke and get some vortechs. Once the new powerheads are in I will probably start slowly restocking. Still leaning towards a nem and clowns just haven't nailed down which type of clown I want. After some thought I'm leaning away from maroons due them being more aggressive. Probably go with a black and an orange or maybe get some snowflake or Picasso.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Man this tank has been a pain for you! Did you glue on the plug or attach a tube so it doesn't happen again? I've considered just super gluing the plug on lol. Bummer to lose all the sps and LPS... Hopefully you got all the bad luck out of the way now
Show a pic if you get any of those clowns.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's been a lesson in patience that's for sure. I don't plan on using the drain on the skimmer so I superglued a piece of plastic over it so it won't open, if I do decide to use it down the road I can easily drill it back out (very thin plastic). Once I get to restocking I sure will add pics.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I have the wife on board with me buying new powerheads. Vortech MP40's baby I'm stoked to get this suckers, I want two just for the purpose that I can have wicked flow with two working together. Plus if I do upgrade down the road I don't have to upgrade powerheads again. Only heard good things about them. On other news, things are turning back my way with the tank. After the two crashes and going hands off for a few months its looking good. I did a huge water change last weekend and then threw my old hammer skeleton back in (it had some baby heads on it still when I moved it to my father in laws tank) less than an hour and it was fully opened and looked nice. A week later everything is open and looking healthy and a bonus is that my red slime has vanished completely. I think it's getting to be time to start restocking, fish anyways. I want to hold off on corals as I want things to stabilize further and add a RBTA first and let it settle before adding coral.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well here are some pics I just snapped of things now. You can see what remains of my coral, GSP, toadstool, Kenya tree on the blue stripes mushroom rock, acan and ricordia. The other pic with my clove polyps also features the frogspawn skeleton with the baby heads, they have grown from the size of pinheads to being about 1/2" in the few months they have been in my father inlaws tank. I also threw a FTS in and you can see how clean things are looking now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3247984040.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	196934   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1782329056.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	196935  

Name:	image-2705638875.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	196936   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4227302078.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	196937  

Name:	image-808312038.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	196938   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137276736.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	196939  

Name:	image-3820794637.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	196940  
Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I'm not sure if anyone is following this roller coaster ride or not but I have some news. I have a couple vortech mp40 on old for me to pick up Friday which will be awesome. I also have a pair of designer clowns and a rose bubble tip set aside also. Ill try my luck with the nem and hopefully it survives, the tank is doing really well now. I even found some blue clove polyps growing which I haven't seen on the rock in like a year. I'm supposed to get pics of the clowns tonight but from what I've been told they look awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #77
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah more updates and pics!
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ill post pics of the clowns as soon as I get the email tonight. I am stoked to finally get some life in the tank again. My engineer goby doesn't offer much for entertainment other than if I was to play aquatic whack a mole.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow I would love to have even one mp40 shoot I'd even take an mp10 lol. Sps are gonna love it in there! That frogspawn will come back in no time. Good to hear about the snowflakes and rbta they'll def add a lot of character. Tank will be looking good again before you know it.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well here are the pics I received of my new livestock. I quite like the markings on the clowns. Not your typical designer breed, very balanced and symmetrical. I especially like the females markings. They also have a pair of snowflakes but I like these markings better plus these clowns are larger and have already figured out to host an anemone. The RBTA is nice also, they have "fancier" ones that I didn't really think were much nicer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1807957966.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	198806   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3650103137.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	198807  

Name:	image-1715692459.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	198808  

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com