A Couple of Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, ya.. I didnt add extra rock. I already had rock that had bacteria from my old cycle. So I just lifted it out of the tank for a total of about 5 minutes while I swapped the gravel for sand.

Ok, I found the API test kit for nitrite, nitrate, PH and amonia. So, looks like my nitrite went back up...but just a little it reads .25 but my ammonia is thankfully at 0. Now, it seems like my pH keeps dropping. I bought a buffer that corrects it but the correction doesnt seem to last more than a few hours. I believe a water change will help my ph problem correct ? But if so.. I still have nitrite which means I need to keep cycling a little longer. should I do a water change anyway ? Thanks again.

What is the PH reading? This is where it will start to grate on your nerves because we'll be asking for readings for kits you didn't get.. Ca, Kh, Alk.. That have an effect on PH or better said work in conjunction when determining PH.

So to start, what is the PH reading.. when did you take it? morning, night, lights on,light off, etc.

pH will normally fluctuate a bit during your cycle. Tracking it during your cycle is kind of like beating your head against the wall. Definitely don't add anymore buffer during cycling as that will skew your water chemistry when you finally do get done cycling. pH changes with changes in biological activity in your tank, and during a cycle there's a lot of that going on.

Agree with CaptainAhab's questions though... how low is low.

When you test pH, you want to test around the same time each day, as it will drop after lights out and slowly rise after lights on.

Thanks. I actually bought the test kit when I made the post. I found it for $25 at a lfs. It s been fluctuating between 7.8 and 8.4

Back
Top Bottom