A few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is "salt creep"?

What is the procedure for evaporation top off?Add fresh because only the water evaporates and the salt stays behind?

If I add shrimp (2 for 90g?),what should I let the ammonia get up to before pulling them?

Thanks,

Salt creep is the residue salt that is left behind after evaporation. Probably due to some physics anomoly that I scientifically can not explain. Hence, I am a poor little bean counter making pennies to a dollar. BUT I digress...

Salt creep will appear as a crust at the seams where objects come close to the surface tension of the water level. Think of at rust appearing in places that have never been touched by water but the areas around it have. Am I edumacaitin muhself??

Evaporation top-ff is exactly what you described. Because the water evaporates and the salt is left behind (I learned in Phys. Science in High School I think) you have an increase in specific gravity in your closed environment. If you added saltwater you would create a spiral increase in salinity.

You can say that salt-creep is a result of evaporation. You do not see salt creep in freshwater systems because there are not enough materials dissolved in the water (I.E. Salt) to see a significant "problem".

You can have as many shrimp as your little heart desires! What the condition would be is how many other creatures or animals do you have in the tank? What is your filtration system? You should provide as much information about your setup as possible. This will help the other members in expressing an opinion about what you should do, or think about doing. Ideally you do not want to expose any of your animals to poisonous conditions (the reason why gas stations have vacuum nozzles to remove the fumes before they escape into the air that you are breathing while you dispense gas). Think of it this way: If something was conducting an experiment to find out how much mustard gas you can tolerate before you puke would you really want to participate?

Hope this helps!

-Tram

lol...yes that helps....well the salt creep and evaporation part does anyway ;)

The shrimp question was about starting the cycle,not live stock...sry,I should have been clearer.

I'm thinking I do not want the ammonia to get very high because at the end of the cycle that will mean high nitrates... no?If thats correct, then at what ammonia level should I pull the shrimp?

The nitrous cycle STARTS with the addition of proteins. Bacteria will break down the protein and produce ammonia (ammonia spike). Then other bacterias will feed on the ammonia and give off nitrite (nitrite spike). Lastly, other bacterias different from the first two will feed on the nitrate (nitrate spike) and thus you have the end of the cycle where then it begins with ammonia again.

What it sounds like is that you are using cocktail shrimp or something of the like to cycle your tank. If so, leave them in there. Dont ever pull them out. You want the worst kind of terror in your tank to establish the bacteria. With the shrimp you should see with your test kit an ammonia spike in about a week or two. Then as the ammonia levels off you should the nitrites spike about a week later. Then as the nitrites level off you should see nitrates spike too. Wait at least a month before you start adding livestock you WANT to keep. You can keep live rock in the water but you should reconsider adding any other animals. Try waiting at least two months to build your tank with live rock and establish the system (bacteria). If you do not wait you risk exposing fish and other animals you really want to keep a most horrible death. :- )

Add as much live rock as possible. There really is no rule to how much rock to use. BUT the rule of thumb is about 1.5lbs/gal. So for your setup about 150lbs. But dont quote me on that! I/We dont know what your tank setup specs may be. Try replying with more specifics about your filtration, lighting, age of cycle, pounds of live rock, and what type of system you are planning (i.e. Fish only or Reef).

BE PATIENT! It will pay off when you start adding animals you want to keep.

Patience isn't an issue....no worries there.

I plan on starting a thread either tonight or tommorow detailing all of my stuff with pics so I can manhandled and brow beaten into getting it right.

Back
Top Bottom