A few Questions for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpdt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 I am going to change from fresh to salt here soon. I am running an Eheim 2026 for filtration. Should I move the spray bar to the other side of the tank pointing down with a Power Sweep 214 blowing back towards the intake pipe ? Would this supply enough current for oxygen ?
I will only be putting in a figure 8 puffer and Black Volitan Lionfish. I will be feeding home grown brine shrimp and some frozen. Do I need a protein skimmer ?

to switch from fresh to sw you will need to change your substrate to sand or cc. Another ph (10X tank size) so 750 gph. And since the fish you mentioned eat alot, a skimmer would be a wise choice.

I don't use a substrate with my freshwater tank, but I plan on using Florida Crushed Coral. I think about 60 lbs should do fine in my tank.

As for water movement shouldn't my Eheim 2026 and a Powersweep 214 be enough. Both the puffer and the lion don't move around alot. I thought they alot of water movement would irritate them.

What is a cheap, quiet skimmer I could use on my tank ?

The Ehein 2026 is only 172 GPH (max output) and the Powersweep 214 is 160 GPH. Even for an FO tank this is quite low. I would add at least one Maji-jet 1200 preferabley 2 or another Powersweep but a 228 (again, preferabley 2). Water flow is very important for a marine tank no matter what you keep. The lowest I would ever suggest is 10x the tank volume. Double if keeping corals (depending on species).

I would also suggest you consider sand over CC. The fish you will be keeping are quite messy eaters as pointed out by darb2 and the sand will make it much easier to keep the water quality specs in line. CC traps wastes, sand does not. As far as the skimmer goes, you don't need one but it will definately cut down on water change maintenace. For the 75 gal, the Aqua C Pro would be the better choice. If cost is going to make the desicion, then don't get one. There aren't any that do a decent job.

Cheers
Steve

I plan on doing water changes with a Phyton. So cleaning out the coral will be easier than sand. CC also helps buffer my pH too.

I am trying for a low maintenance tank. Just two fish in there.
As for water movement I think I will by the Power Sweep 228.

mpdt said:
I plan on doing water changes with a Phyton. So cleaning out the coral will be easier than sand. CC also helps buffer my pH too.
Sands does not need cleaning and it buffers the water just the same as long as it's an aragonite. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Where in TN are you? If your close then save some money and come get this 6 gal bucket of cc I'm not using. :mrgreen:

The python is only good for removing water. You cant use it to add water back into a SW tank as you need to premix the saltwater. Im sure you thought about that though.

My opinon of powersweeps is not that high. I dont even classify them as a water movement device. They just take up space.

For a 75gal tank I like to use Hagen 802 powerheads. They push upward to 400GPH and having a pair. One in either back corner blowing toward the front middle will be a great start in water movement.

I am only going to use the python to clean the crushed coral and remove water for my WC. I have two AC 802's but I fell that even one is to much water movement for a figure 8 puffer and a lionfish in a 75 gal.

Back
Top Bottom