The water I bought was DI
water in a jug on the shelf. It tested at 0 too on my TDS
meter so it should be fine.
I talked to the seller about the sand I bought and he said this strange junk is bio gel used to keep the bacteria in the sand alive. He said that is why I should have washed the sand. :-/
Skimming it off the surface ought to help, but alot of it has clumped together and sank. I am waiting on his reply as to whether or not it is harmful if left in the tank.
EDIT: The seller assured me that it is harmless and will break down in a few days. I have 15 lbs of fiji live rock coming tomorrow to add to the tank. Today I am going to some hardware stores to look for pure ammonia. (Well, ammonia without surfactants and detergents). Still no ammonia...This cod must be some kind of super cod. Resistant to decay! Arg!