Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I mixed 10 gallons (thats all publix had!) of salt water (DI water and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt) up to about 1.024. Poured it over the sand into the tank (plastic bags on top of sand). At first, things were going pretty well with avoiding the milking effect, but then it just became a lost cause. Oh well.

Now there is this foam stuff all over the surface of the water. I did some water tests and everything was at zero with PH being 8.4 ( I guess, 8.4 and 8.8 look really close). Any idea what this is? Looks just like the stuff at the beach, except its completely white. I imagine this is the calcium carbonate micro particulate matter. Since there is no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate all is fine. (Right?).

Now if this sand is alive, might it begin to produce some ammonia tomorrow from die off? I will fill up the rest of the tank tomorrow with more DI water +salt mix. (Still dont have my RO/DI system yet, but its on its way).

Should I attempt to start a cycle now? Might I add some pure ammonia to the water? (from the grocery store)

At this point, what should I be doing? When do partial water changes start? (Should they start once the cycle is done?).

Thanks guys! Im on my way!

Matt

Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
At this point, what should I be doing? When do partial water changes start? (Should they start once the cycle is done?).

Thanks guys! Im on my way!

Matt
Water changes are at the end of the cycle. And there's nothing in there to die off to start the cycle, so your water should test zero for everything. So I'd go the cocktail shrimp route and throw one in there to start things out. BUT...

I'd add whatever rock you want to put in there before you start the cycle. Unless you add fully cured rock ($$$), any rock you add after a tank is cycled will just start yet another cycle.

The foam on top will go away. Not sure what it is, but I remember it from when I first filled my tank. Things will clear up as time goes on.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
How does this rock look?
WALT SMITH PREMIUM FIJI LIVE ROCK BY THE POUND - eBay (item 160341317767 end time Jun-17-09 17:47:02 PDT)

Seems like a good deal, no? Any thoughts on the bio-spira type of products that are supposed to help get the cycling going?

Matt
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

The listing has been removed from ebay.
I used this link for more information on that product.
Bio-Spira (instant tank cycler)saltwater
Try it and let us know.
Only time will tell since this is a new "snake oil" product.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Thats odd about ebay. Here is the item number: 160341317767
I will try out the bio-spira and let you guys know what I find. Somehow, it seems that there still needs to be a source of ammonia, right? Else the bio-spira will starve.

Matt
Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes... you need ammonia, hence the cocktail shrimp.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Couldnt find the Bio-Spira (seems to be an elusive product to find) but found some Stress Zyme which also claims to contain live bacteria and claims to set up the biological filter very "quickly". (Whatever quickly means).

I went with a raw piece of cod fish since I plan to eat fish tomorrow.:p I hope thats okay? (other websites suggested raw fish).

I havent added the stress zyme in as I figured that the live sand ought to do something if its truely live. I have the tank all filled up with salt water (made up with DI water). Ph= 8.4-8.8 (color is a little closer to 8.4 I guess). Salt amount = 1.024. I have the heater set for 84F. No powerhead going right now, as the water is milky still.

Anything I ought to be doing? When might the raw fish cause an ammonia spike? I didnt put much in, maybe a teaspoon size piece. Should I put the stress-zyme stuff in, or wait a bit to see if the live sand actually does anything?

Thanks guys!
Matt
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lower the temp. to about 78F. 84F is a tad to high. Other than that, you're on the right track.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Do I need to keep the light on at all for the cycling?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

No lights needed. Right now the lights are more for you then anything else. Put your PH in. The circulation will help things spread out better.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com