Acrylic or Glass Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of tank do you like?

• Acrylic Tanks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glass Tanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think both tanks have their place.

For smaller tanks (100gal or less) glass tanks are good because they are relitivly scratch resistant but can be quite heavy. Glass is also often cheaper than acrylic.

For large tanks acrylic is nice because of the significant weight savings. The acrylic is also stronger so it's thinner than the glass for the same size tank. The net result is a better appearing tank. The downside with acrylic is that its a much softer compound and thus can scratch easy if your not careful with your tank maintance.

I like glass better. I have a small 10 g acrylic that i use for fresh water and my 30 g SW glass and I'm just starting a 20 g brackish glass. To me, glass is clearer and easier to clean. Acrylic looks good right out of the box, but after some service, I don't care how careful you are, there are scratches.

However, as stated above, for very large tanks I think there may be some benefit to arcylic. If I ever get the space and ambition to go with a hugh tank, I'd have to at least consider it.

I only see one real advantage to glass. Glass is much more scratch resistant, although I do have scratches in my 55gal glass tank. Ready made glass tanks are cheaper mostly because they are mass produced. If you price out a custom acrylic and glass aquarium, the prices are not far apart. I disagree with clownfish because I think acrylic is much more clear than glass.

For any normal size tank I would buy a glass tank only because they are mass produced. Anything I build would be acrylic, but I haven't had a chance to build a full tank yet, only small things. One day....

Ya acrylic does scratch easier but those scratches can be removed. Glass scratches too but you can't remove them.

At the LFS they should have a Scratch Remover kit for Acrylic tanks.. I havent seen the price as I own Glass but they should be resonably affordable..

James

Back
Top Bottom