added sand, how long b4 tank clears up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzafugasi

Aquarium Advice Regular
i added aragonite sand yesterday to my tank, and it looks like one big cloud of water... i checked this morning, and it is no better. how long b4 the water clears up? should i have my filtration running and powerheads/skimmer? i have an overflow w/sump. thanks.

The heavier suspended particles will settle out quickly. The finer dust will stay suspended until it gets weighed down with bacteria colonies. My last 125 gal. took about 3 or 4 days to go clear. Then of course I aqua scaped and had to wait another day.
I keep the water flow on during this process.
Do not worry, it will be fine soon.

38 hours 52 minutes 18 seconds.

Kidding :p Give it a day or two. Leaving powerheads off will allow it to settle faster.

atari: are u sure its not 19 seconds instead of 18?? j/k thanks for the replies, i got worried when i put the sand in, its very cloudy.

Same thing happened to me.
In my freshwater cichlid tank it's been nearly a week and has a few more days to go.
(It was going to be an sw, but I decided at the last moment not to take the plunge. I am also not sure why it should take longer in a fresh water tank but this seems to be the general wisdom.
Stupid question, but where do all the suspended particulates go? Are they collected in the mechanical filter, therebye clogging it, or do they settle? And if they settle, won't they cloud the water again at the first stirring?
Jeff

Added a couple of fish tonight.
Re-arranged the furniture and lo and behold it looks like Tatooine Moon.
I am looking for good things tomorrow morning. Jeff

update...after a day and a half, i can finally see the background in my aquarium. shouldnt be much longer till its totally clear. thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom