Adding a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyR6Rocks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm adding a new sump to my established system which doesn't have a sump. I'm going to use live sand/rock in it and was wondering if I could add it at same time or should I add sand wait a bit then lr? I'm thinking its going to cycle correct?

IMO the cycle would be minimum if any. When I add extra sand to my tank I rinse the live sand out really well and never had a problem. Want to keep the same color. I run lr and chaeto no sand to me it's harder to clean with sand.

Doesn't rinsing the sand defeat the purpose?

Rinse the sand with saltwater cleans it without killing it shouldnt have a cycle adding bb doesn cause cycle adding ammonia via livestock or dieoff from unrinsed sand or rock will cause lil spike imo no need for lr or ls in sump just chaeto for me

Rinse the sand with saltwater cleans it without killing it shouldnt have a cycle adding bb doesn cause cycle adding ammonia via livestock or dieoff from unrinsed sand or rock will cause lil spike imo no need for lr or ls in sump just chaeto for me

Ok I'm considering ditching the ls/lr route. Just thought that was the way to go, I'm really inexperienced as far as sumps go. Looking online there's lots of different types available is one type better than the others? It's all "macro" algae. The whole reason I went this route is cause with my under cabinet canister filter its impossible to keep my trates under control. Also the lighting I was planning to use on the sump is a fluorescent off my 10gal qt tank. Thanks

add crushed coral sand and dry rock. wash the sand good and rinse the rock it will all become live

add crushed coral sand and dry rock. wash the sand good and rinse the rock it will all become live

Yeah originally I was going the sand/rock route and adding a small cuc maybe 2 snails 2 crabs. Will that still lower my nitrates? That's whole reason I went with a sump

having a deep sand bed around 6" of sugar grade sand and some cheato will help lower nitrates i would put the cuc in the dt not the sump

Ok I'm considering ditching the ls/lr route. Just thought that was the way to go, I'm really inexperienced as far as sumps go. Looking online there's lots of different types available is one type better than the others? It's all "macro" algae. The whole reason I went this route is cause with my under cabinet canister filter its impossible to keep my trates under control. Also the lighting I was planning to use on the sump is a fluorescent off my 10gal qt tank. Thanks

I just use chaeto its the easiest macro and very good at removing nitrate i have 20 fish in my150g and nitrate is undetectable and i feed twice daily small amounts of course imo dsb is a thing of thle past along with bioballs dsb can become saturated with nutrient over the coarse of a few years and actually release nutrient back into water im speaking from experience heres a pick of a good sump setup return in middle fugi on left overflow and skimmer on right

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
I'm adding a new sump to my established system which doesn't have a sump. I'm going to use live sand/rock in it and was wondering if I could add it at same time or should I add sand wait a bit then lr? I'm thinking its going to cycle correct?

Dont get me wrong you can Add ls lr in sump if youd like imo tho not neccessary

Dont get me wrong you can Add ls lr in sump if youd like imo tho not neccessary

Think ill go chaeto. Seems to be least maintenance, & simplest way to go. Also seems like there's multiple ways just like everything else saltwater no "right" or "wrong" way, just different ways.

Back
Top Bottom