Adding Fish Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gallon reef setup that I started in March, 2003. I currently have only a Yellow Tang and a Spotted Hawkfish. I also have a 10 gallon qt tank that I plan to use for new additions.

I would like to purchase a Percula Clownfish and a Blue Hippo Tang.

Should there be any issues adding these fish to my current setup? :?

I read somewhere that adding two was better than adding one, because they would spread out the focus of the old fish on two intruders.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

awillemd1

I think that works the other way... when you have a school of fish with one bully, it spreads the focus of the bully so the same fish don't get beaten to death. But when you got one percula clown, that poor thing is gonna get beaten by both tangs to death much faster than if there were one bully. Plus as triggers said the 2 tangs are gonna fight amongst themselves too. Even tho you got a 90g, I don't think it's a good idea to add another tang.

I had a yellow tang and a blue regal tang together without problems. (they are not similar shapes) Of course there are always exceptions. I would not recommend a hippo aka hippo tang because they get destructive to corals. I did add two perculas to my reef after my yellow tang, he did not even bother them because they hang out at the top of the tank and it is not his "turf". It is better to compile a list of the fish that you want, and add them in the order of least aggressive to most aggresive. Good luck!

I agree with bizzybeas, I don't think the yellow tang and hippo tang would bother each other too much. I've always heard tangs of the same shape might have a problem together, plus your tank is pretty big.

Another method of introducing fish is to float the new fish in a plastic strainer used for food or whatever in your tank for a few hours so the fish in your display tank can check out the new guy before introducing him.

Thank you all for the advice.

One more question: What if the Blue Tang and/or the Percola are much smaller? Does that introduce any more complications? :?

Thanks again in advance.

awillemd1

Back
Top Bottom