Adding More Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am noticing jsut now how shallow my layer of LS is...it's about one inch deep. I wonder if it is feasbile to add another layer of sand on top of the layer now in my tank. The sand has been for 3 months now. Does this make any sense at all?

Sure does, if you want to add more. Make sure you rinse and turn off your water moving equipment. There are plenty of folks that do this.

Just add it a little at a time, like no more than a ½" on top of what you have. You can do that every month till you build it up to the depth you want.

This was all good advice. I finally added about 1/2" layer of LS last night. I DIDN'T rinse the sand and after just one "scoop" I added, the entire tank got very cloudy. I then rinsed the sand off carefully with clean (not tap) water, and waited a couple of hours. I added the rest and the it was better, but still clouded my tank for awhile. BY the time I got to bed, it was almost perfectly clear. This morning it is clear and it appears the fish have all survived.
I wouldn't recommend this maneuver unless you really, really need to, and I did. My goby had only a very light layer of sand to sift through and I needed to add it. I'm glad I did, but nothing beats being ready BEFORE you add livestock to your tank. Live and learn.

Cool thanks for the update! There are plenty of folks that add new sand to replinish the sand that has been siphoned out.

Yes, I am giving the little guys a chance to catch their breaths as they recover from the "smog" of last night ;) I'll add the rest of the bag tonight.
They seem just fine today, thank goodness. I wasn't so sure about them last night.
I do think my snails are dying off slowly, not sure why. That has nothing to do with the new sand though.

If you are adding to a differnent area of the tank tongiht is fine. If you are adding to the same area you should wait a week so the bacteria and sand critters have time to adjust to the increased depth.

Back
Top Bottom