Advice Needed! Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STE.vicious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey

I started up a saltwater aquarium over 3 weeks ago. Tank is 120lt aquaone 620.
I set it up and the following day got 8 kg of live rock, a few days later got another 2kg. Tested my water after a week with API kit and got PH 8.2 ammonia 0.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. A few days passed and levels stayed the same so I bought the Red Sea mature program, after a few days nitrite and nitrate spiked (5.0 and 80+) but ammonia was still 0.5, 2 weeks has now passed since starting the mature program. (Last Thursday nitrite hit 0 and nitrate 20 ammonia stayed at 0.5)did a few 25% water changes over the past week and levels didn't change at all! On Sunday LFS said to get a fish so I got a black chromis, fed it yesterday. Yesterday nitrite went to 0.25 everything else stayed same. Today I have tested and ammonia is still 0.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 and PH 8.2.
Any ideas why my ammonia just won't go down?

Here is the instructions for the mature pro program I have been following - http://www.marineaquatics.co.uk/shop/red-sea-reef-mature-pro-kit.html

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey

I started up a saltwater aquarium over 3 weeks ago. Tank is 120lt aquaone 620.
I set it up and the following day got 8 kg of live rock, a few days later got another 2kg. Tested my water after a week with API kit and got PH 8.2 ammonia 0.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. A few days passed and levels stayed the same so I bought the Red Sea mature program, after a few days nitrite and nitrate spiked (5.0 and 80+) but ammonia was still 0.5, 2 weeks has now passed since starting the mature program. (Last Thursday nitrite hit 0 and nitrate 20 ammonia stayed at 0.5)did a few 25% water changes over the past week and levels didn't change at all! On Sunday LFS said to get a fish so I got a black chromis, fed it yesterday. Yesterday nitrite went to 0.25 everything else stayed same. Today I have tested and ammonia is still 0.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and PH 8.2.
Any ideas why my ammonia just won't go down?

Any help would be appreciated!

I am not familiar with Red Sea mature but undo know that with other instant cycles they carry bacteria that contain nitrate and nitrites as well as ammonia. Those additives will usually help just start the cycle, but the one I used still required a source of ammonia.
To explain the different stages would take a long time so ill just post this....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Pretty good article and many more if you do a general search in the site. Good luck.

Went to that link it doesn't seem to help him with his request. It's quite odd that ur ammonia has not dropped yet

Question #16 is his question. Scroll down and it's there

Thanks, I fed the fish again yesterday with brine shrimp. I also added in some fish pellets to decay and maybe start the ammonia again, tested yesterday afternoon ammonia went down to 0.25. Fed fish again this morning and put in another 8 or so pellets, still at 0.25...hopefully it will start going right down now? Otherwise I don't know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom