Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice needed for starting new reef aquarium

Hi All. First time on here and hoping to get some much needed input from you guys on my new marine system I am in the process of setting up.

I have had a nano marine aquarium in the past but it wasn't too successful!

This time I am converting a tank I once had as a tropical freshwater.

It is an aqua oak large cube aquarium holding approx 150 litres.

I think I've got my head around most of the equipment apart from the filtration.

I really don't fancy drilling the tank unless I have to.

I already have a decent large external canister filter.

My thoughts are to use this, a hang on bubble magus q3 skimmer and then live rock and wave maker.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Would it be enough? If so what media should I put in the canister?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Mark

Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry, about how many gallons is that?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 125 gallon reef with 2 hob tidal 110 gallon filters and a canister filter and a hob skimmer, 2 heaters, and 3 pumps for water circulation, haven't made up my mind yet what I'm gonna use yet so they're just temporary. The canister has water polishing floss, the hob filters have bio media, sponge, polyfilter, and chemi-pure blue in them.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's around 35 gallons I believe. So not a massive tank. Do you use treated tap water or ro water for your water changes?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use treated tap water right now. I have a filter connected to my kitchen faucet just haven't changed the filter out yet.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't started water changes yet. My tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks and was told by the guy who owns the LFS to wait 3 months to do a water change so I can build up the sand bed for what I want to keep but I do top offs and check my parameters diligently.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You should check out our articles section about cycling. You need to present an ammonia source and after the bacteria base builds up so that ammonia is processed in a 24 hour period, you then do your big water changes to get the nitrates in check.
I would recommend using ro/di water. Treating tap water isn't taking out all of the nasty stuff in our drinking water that can be harmful after the levels build up over long periods of time. Ro/DI water pulls everything out of the water so that we can control what is going into our systems. It is important because so much is in our water that you can't even test for...like fluoride.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, aquarium, reef, reef aquarium, star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com