Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keletha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to saltwater fish (9 months) and was advised to use calcium reactor in my saltwater reef 1x weekly. I am wondering if I use reef crystals do I still need to use calcium reactor?

Is your tank loaded with sps corals? Are you testing calcium, alk and mag? If not then don't bother. Weekly wc with reef crystals is fine.

I have a few corals and it looks like they are trying to die and I'm wondering if reef crystals are the same as salt or not

Instant oceans reef crystals? That is a reef grade salt and should be fine. What are your parameters: nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium? Type of lights? Tank size? Types of corals? Need to know all this info to help :)

I have led lights that are timed and I have ricodeas and leathers right now. I don't know my parameters but will check tomorrow for it. I was paying someone to service my tank but I have to do my own work if I wanna keep up w my own tank so I'm looking for advice

Gotcha I'd definitely invest in a good test kit if you don't have one already. Do you know what exact brand LEDs they're? Rics and leathers are fairly easy corals and don't use up much calcium or alk so a reactor is just a waste of money.

I was told the opposite and I'm clueless in Chicago so I should just buy some reef crystals or just use sea salt

Then that's a fine reef grade salt mix. Just continue using that. Checking your parameters and knowing what exact LEDs you have will help to find the problem

I never used reef salt to continue to use it lol and it's a tetra led reef capable
Light that has a timer and I have a 55 gallon tank w a coral beauty, yellow tang clown fish and spotted damsel in my tank

that light will handle most softies and maybe some lps , But yes there's a But they are no way strong enough for sps , as for a calcium reactor no you don't need it unless you have a tank full of sps , just basic 10% water changes weekly should supply what your tank needs for most corals ,

most pet shops try to sell more than you need

like bribo said invest in a good test kit

and asking is how we all learn

Back
Top Bottom