aeration in a sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 15 gallon cycling (on my sig. lol) i have a CPR bakpak2 skimmer and a tetra whisper hob filter rated for up to 30 gallons and 1 powerhead (80gph) and a 100 watt heater.

do i need aeration if so what kind should i get?

No, you don't need any aeration. What you need is surface turbulence and, from what I can see, you should have plenty of that. The gas exchange (C02 out, O2 in) takes place at the surface. Adding an airstone will not increase the O2 content in your water and will cause all kinds of problems with salt creep. Salt creep is something to avoid as much as possible. :mrgreen:

So you don't suggest using venturi "valves" on the PHs? I have my PH spitting out some bubbles. Should I take out the venturi air tubes?

Diffinately take out the tubes. With all those little air bubbles, your tank is like a giant protein skimmer.

are the venturis the tube part of the ph becuz i have those but havent set up my tank, and i will take them off b4 i do.

Yes, they are usually an attachment that snaps on the output of the PH. There will be a place for an airline to attach to is. I wouldn't use it for mixing the SW. All you need is some current.

mixing saltwater...

Discussing the venturis on your powerheads, you asked...
Should I use them when mixing new saltwater?

These powerheads are inside your tank, right? You should be mixing your saltwater OUTSIDE the tank.

Anyway...the question made me think that you are mixing the saltwater right in your tank and that isn't how you should do it.

But...If you are mixing saltwater in a separate container and using another powerhead to mix with....I wouldn't bother running the venturi of the power head in that case.

Yeah, I have an extra powerhead that I use in the plastic bin I mix my SW in to movie it around. Thought that was needed.

Took out all the venturis all around. Why do they give them to you of you don't need them?

Thanks for the advice.

Mostly used in FW. Used instead of or in addition to, air pump. Can also be used to oxygenate your top off or water change reservoir. prior to adding to tank or sump.

Back
Top Bottom