Agrocrete or Cement Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Been doing quite a bit of research in the last couple of months, I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years and WOW so much has changed...

Basically I kept my old crushed coral substrate and am planning my new tank with Southdown Sand, which was purchased today.

My question is, I would like to attempt to make some of that Agrocrete or Cement rocks that I have been reading about on certain websites... I think it would be a fun and creative way to decorate the tank.

Is using the old Crushed coral a suitable product to mix with the cement? How will this stuff be in 5-10 years from now? I am not too familiar with all the steps in making these rocks, but am willing to educate myself as much as possible before wasting my time and money.

Any help is greatly appreciated... Thank you!

Cunch

Is using the old Crushed coral a suitable product to mix with the cement?
I really can't think of a reason why not! I wish you had posted this a few ago. I might have done the same thing instead of buying more LR. I've got about 90 pounds of cc just sitting in a can.

Is using the old Crushed coral a suitable product to mix with the cement? How will this stuff be in 5-10 years from now? I am not too familiar with all the steps in making these rocks, but am willing to educate myself as much as possible before wasting my time and money.

Biggest thing I can think of here, is to make sure you cure the rock in FW after you make it, it will skyrocket your ph if you don't. The curing process takes weeks ;)

Biggest thing I can think of here, is to make sure you cure the rock in FW after you make it, it will skyrocket your ph if you don't. The curing process takes weeks

I have some in a container that I made and gave up on. I soaked it for 2 months and I still could not the rock from leaching PH. It was only a small batch < 10lbs but it would be nice to use. We made a nice arch and a shelf that would work great for corals. I would change the water once and a day and sometimes twice a day.

We used portand cement and arragonite sand. Everything seemed right but it kept leeching PH into the water.

My research has told me it could take some months to cure if your water has a high ph out of the tap. Softer the water the faster it cures, according to my research...

I think my tap water was mid 7's. It would shoot to 9+ over a day.

I have heard of people placing the rock in the back of the toilet. That way when it flushes, new water is introduced :) Did not try it though.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't too sure how long it would take to cure --- it was just a thought, I have about 250lbs of crushed coral sitting in the garage and no place to go. Any other suggestions for the use of this left over substrate.

Thank you!

I have heard of people placing the rock in the back of the toilet. That way when it flushes, new water is introduced Did not try it though.

LOLOL What a great idea! I guess you could do that for a couple months and then test it in some standing water... comedy!

The only thing I would worry about the toilet is rust, it has a tendency to build up in the tanks sometimes

Agreed. I had the rock in an acrylic container and it left a thin layer of concrete on the inside of the container. I would not want that in my toilet either.

Back
Top Bottom