Aiptasia Life Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know the life cycle of Aiptasia? :) I had around 20 to 30 of the little buggers in my 90 gallon reef setup which I eliminated using the syringe and vinegar method. I finished the last one off about a week ago and I am still finding these little starfish shaped things that I think are the jeuvenile stage of Aiptasia. I am confused, however, on why they are still appearing. :? I have a lot of liverock so it is very possible that I have missed some adults.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

awillemd1

awillemd1 said:
I have a lot of liverock so it is very possible that I have missed some adults.
This is going to be the most likely prospect. Aiptasia reproduce though tissue separation and if just the smallest piece of them is broken off/dmagaed for any reason it will grow into a new pest. Since you have been having good success with the vinegar method, I would suggest some peppermint shrimp as well depending on what other animals are in the tank. They will help eliminate the smaller ones you cannot find before they get larger.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you! :) Unfortunately, I have a coral banded shrimp which I read will eat almost every other kind of shrimp. Do you know if that is true? What about a copper banded butterfly fish? I have read mixed things about whether they are compatible with reef tanks or not? :?

Thanks in advance.

awillemd1

In a 90 gal tank I honestly think the risk is quite low to non-existant. I have a pepp and CBS in my 27 gal and although he tries, the CSB is no where near fast enough. The main threat would be predatory fish moreso.

Copperbands are also hit and miss but I would not buy a fish primarily for this reason especially since your heading in a reef direction. I would opt for a few pepps first and see what that does... Personally, they have never failed me.

Cheers
Steve

personally i had two peppermints in my reef tank with a CBS for almost 1.5 years untill i bought a bi-color psuedo which ate my two peps on the first day in the tank.

So in my 125 if i was to have some fire shrimp pepps and cleaner shrimp (are all those compatable?) Could i safely add a coral banded shrimp? I really like them but also heard they will eat other shrimp

In a 90 gal tank I honestly think the risk is quite low to non-existant. I have a pepp and CBS in my 27 gal and although he tries, the CSB is no where near fast enough. The main threat would be predatory fish moreso.

Wonderful news! :)

Thank you!

awillemd1

possum said:
So in my 125 if i was to have some fire shrimp pepps and cleaner shrimp (are all those compatable?) Could i safely add a coral banded shrimp? I really like them but also heard they will eat other shrimp
Get the smallest CBS you can find. As it grows, so will the other shrimp in your 125. As I said, given enough space and ample places for the shrimp to hide the chances are extremely low that you will ever have a problem.

Cheers
Steve

Some coral banded shrimp won't bother other inverts. Others are a real terror because once they learn the others make a good meal, they will never stop pursuing them. Coral banded shrimp aren't the fastest predators, but they can move pretty quick for the first few inches, and that's all it takes with those double barrel pitch forks up front.

My CB shrimp catches and eats bristle worms, 2" cleaner shrimp, and has taken the tail fins off several fish. He ignores hermet crabs and gets his butt kicked by my sally lightfoot. If it weren't for the fact he has those beautifull feelers a foot across he'd be served with shrimp sauce. Otherwise, cleaners and fire shrimp are far more beneficial for a tank.

I've had outbreaks of aiptasia before, and found that tanks with high PH (8.3) and kept with high calcium levels don't seem to promote or will at least stunt their growth. Or, it could be another water parameter that I'm not seeing that's reducing their food source.

Back
Top Bottom