Ammonia testing during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I'm currently cycling a 55g saltwater tank which has been running for 1-2 weeks with natural sea water and about 66 lbs of live rock. No fish in there as yet. I also threw in a raw shrimp to get the ammonia up a little but removed it after 3 days as I was advised to be patient, let things happen more naturally and thy all the live rock I have in there would cause sufficient die off. Anyway, I first started testing ammonia a week ago every couple of days and it went from 0 to 0.10, then to 0.20 in 4 days, but today being the 7th day it has fallen back to around 0.05 to 0.10ppm! I thought it was supposed to spike up to around 4 or 5ppm before coming back down again! Can anyone explain why it has fallen much earlier than its suppose to during cycling of a sw tank, or should it gradually rise with more time?

It was fine to put the shrimp in with the LR. When you took it out, you were taking out that additional ammonia source. The die off from the LR can be minimal which is why you would add more ammonia like the raw shrimp. I suggest putting a new raw shrimp in and wait until the ammonia rises to 4-5 ppm and then take it out. If you don't the cycle prob. won't be "strong" enough (not enough bacteria to handle waste). For example, if you put a CUC crew in, or a fish and the nitrate shot up, or any other level like the nitrite or ammonia didn't remain zero you would know the cycle wasn't strong enough.

You may never see a huge spike in ammonia because you got so much LR. But I agree to put a shrimp back in and let it decay.

You may never see a huge spike in ammonia because you got so much LR. But I agree to put a shrimp back in and let it decay.

Ok I just tested ammonia again and it's at 0.20ppm now so I've now added another shrimp in there and we'll see what happens. I know it varies with everyone's sw tank, but does anyone know what a normal usual "healthy" marine cycling period lasts for before the first fish can be added?

If a decaying shrimp does not raise the ammonia significantly, you have a sufficient BB colony. With 66 lbs LR for a 55 gal tank you could see little ammonia. If amm drop to 0 with the shrimp still decaying your golden. Nitrite should stay at 0 as well.

If a decaying shrimp does not raise the ammonia significantly, you have a sufficient BB colony. With 66 lbs LR for a 55 gal tank you could see little ammonia. If amm drop to 0 with the shrimp still decaying your golden. Nitrite should stay at 0 as well.

I've also been dosing some bio culture every week and also have about 2lb live rock rubble in my sump. So you think if my ammonia goes back down to zero without rising too much and my nitrite stays at zero with some nitrate I could have finished cycling sooner than anticipated and well on my way to soon adding fish?

With that much LR, yes. But I'd stop with culture boost. See what the tank can do on its own.

With that much LR, yes. But I'd stop with culture boost. See what the tank can do on its own.

Ok, I've stopped adding bio culture and I added another shrimp 2 days ago. It has both decayed and also been feasted on by my crab so only part of the head and shell remain. I just tested ammonia and it was 0.20ppm (refer pic) which is not much change if any since I last tested 2 days ago. In 3 weeks of cycling I have yet to see any ammonia spike and it has not even reached the first level at 0.25ppm. I also tested nitrite now and it is 0ppm. So what do you think all this means in terms of where I'm at with my cycling? Also, I'm getting a lot of fury-like algae on my glass. Apart from buying a magnetic algae glass cleaner, what sort of CUCs can I get to help keep my display tank clean? I'm only keeping the lights on 4 hours a day and I've had to turn my heaters off as the temp is now around 31C (88F). I don't have a chiller and we have just commenced our summer here so not sure if I could still start adding fish this summer if the temp remained around the same level. Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?

Attachments

• image-3563879760.jpg
    image-3563879760.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 108
If you can find it you can dose with PURE ammonia. You have to be sure it's pure though, no scents or other additives. You can usually find it in a hardware store and it's pretty cheap. You can dose to 4 ppm and see what happens. I cycled my 90 gallon tank with pure ammonia and a few fish flakes only, no shrimp or fish, and ended up using about a quart total. (not all at once, lol)

Ok so I've tested my parameters again (almost 3 weeks since first adding LR) and below are my results:
Ammonia - 0.20ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
PH - 8.2

Picture also below:

Would this indicate that I may have had enough BB to not cause an ammonia spike and am I close to being cycled or should I try adding another shrimp to get that ammonia past 0.20ppm for the very first time?

Attachments

• image-447363837.jpg
    image-447363837.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 75
I would not add anything else. Test your ammonia again and have your lfs test it to API tends to read a little green IMO. Almost there!!

Well 4 days later I tested again and here are my results (refer to below pic):

Ammonia - around 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm
PH - 8.4

Haven't had a chance to get my LFS to test but will try to soon. If ammonia goes back down to zero and my other parameters remain the same, would that be considered to being cycled or very close to? Also, at what stage would I do a PWC and how much?

Attachments

• image-20561264.jpg
    image-20561264.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 83
Ok guys don't all reply at once will you!

Anyway have now removed my decaying shrimp and my current parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0.10 - 0.20ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
Ph 8.2 - 8.4
Salinity - 1.025

Will not do a PWC as my nitrates are not very high. Will also look to adding my first fish this weekend, as I can confidentially say my tank is cycled. Any suggestions as to the best type of sw fish to try with?

Attachments

• image-2379737014.jpg
    image-2379737014.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 72
Ok guys don't all reply at once will you!

Anyway have now removed my decaying shrimp and my current parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0.10 - 0.20ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
Ph 8.2 - 8.4
Salinity - 1.025

Will not do a PWC as my nitrates are not very high. Will also look to adding my first fish this weekend, as I can confidentially say my tank is cycled. Any suggestions as to the best type of sw fish to try with?

How much time between when you removed the shrimp and when you tested?

I don't think it will take 24 hrs. Should be fine under 12 hrs.

Notice how my nitrate has gone up? Do you think it's at a safe level and there's no need to do a PWC or would it be better to do one? I prefer not to but am prepared to do anything to make my parameters as best as possible before adding the new additions :)

Notice how my nitrate has gone up? Do you think it's at a safe level and there's no need to do a PWC or would it be better to do one? I prefer not to but am prepared to do anything to make my parameters as best as possible before adding the new additions :)

It wouldn't hurt to do a wc. I would get it done before adding new fish just to cut out unnecessary stress while they're settling in :).

Current parameters are:

Ammonia - around 0.10ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm
PH 8.2 - 8.4

May not be totally necessary but will be doing around 40% water change just to be on safe side, as I had a shrimp decaying in there for a while. I'm also surprised why my nitrite has always stayed at zero throughout the cycling process and not have some sort of spike?

Attachments

• image-2590805147.jpg
    image-2590805147.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 75
Current parameters are:

Ammonia - around 0.10ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm
PH 8.2 - 8.4

May not be totally necessary but will be doing around 40% water change just to be on safe side, as I had a shrimp decaying in there for a while. I'm also surprised why my nitrite has always stayed at zero throughout the cycling process and not have some sort of spike?

It's not unusual to never see an ammonia or nitrite spike when cycling with LR. Especially with all the BB from an established tank you added to your sump. I think you're good! I'd get some fish in there...just be sure to plan your stock carefully. Looking for some pics soon:).

Back
Top Bottom