Ammonia woes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hoping the group can help...

I've got a 92gal reef tank going. This is my first marine aquarium and I've only been at it a few months now. At this point, it is still lightly stocked (three fish, five corals, and a handful of cleaners). I seem to have most of my water parameters under control... well, all except one -- ammonia -- and no matter what, I can't seem to beat it.

I've always had some low level present in the tank (i.e., never a true 0 reading, but less than the next step up on the stupid color scale). The LFS recommended more frequent water changes, so I went from 25gal change once a month, to 25gal every other week. Well the ammonia actually seemed to go up and I noticed that it seems to peak after water changes, which got me thinking, "how much ammonia is in the *NEW* water I've been adding?" Turns out the new water has about 0.5mg/L ammonia! 8O

This is city water, run through a 4stage RO/DI system (Kent Marine Maxxima HiS 60gpd). Being a newbie, I guess I had fallen into the "RODI removes all problems" trap. So, at long last, my question....

What more can I do to purify the new water I'm using for water changes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

First thing to do is test your tap water before the RO. Then test the RO water and then finally test some freshly made saltwater.

I suspect you might have a test kit that is reporting false positive ammonia readings.

What salt mix are you using. There should be no trace of ammonia comming out of your RO unit.

Back
Top Bottom