Anchoring food for inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a couple months ago I got some baby Maine lobster for my ten gallon tank, and everything's been pretty peachy so far (although through the law of natural selection there are now only two remaining). I've been feeding them krill and silversides, which they (and my lone hermit crab) seem to love, but I've just been letting them settle to the bottom on their own.

This is an issue because they've buried themselves underneath my DIY background (there's probably an inch gap to the bottom of the tank, which I filled with sand) and don't come out except late at night.

So, feeding goes like this: drop whole fish/krill in, watch hermit crab get excited and drag it about the tank, watch as a pair of claws and antennae appear from the gloomy cave... and about half a second later, the entire krill/fish has disappeared into the cave.

Any ideas for anchoring the food to a rock or something like that so I can actually see these guys?

Living in Maine might help getting them lol. You might be able to straight rubberband the food to a rock if you are looking to anchor it down. I don't have any experience with lobsters, but with the shrimp I have had, they have caught mysis straight out of the water column. My LFS was telling me about some new sinking pellet they are using to feed their bottom dwellers that does well.

I actually had them as part of my research for my MS at the University of Maine; I raised them from hatch, but had to sample most of them at the end... Well I had far far more "samples" than I could ever use, so I took a couple home...

I have a few pics of them when I first got them, but I haven't seen anything but their claws for about a month and a half now. A rubberband should work, though. Maybe I'll be able to get some better pics that way :-D

Just be sure not to leave the rubber band in there too long or it'll start to degrade and leach some stuff into the water that you probably don't want. So use a fresh rubber band every few days.

Thanks for the tip on the rubberbands! I cleaned the tank out a little while ago, and I forgot I was able to shoo him out into the open...

Attachments

• DSC_42332.jpg
    DSC_42332.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_42292.jpg
    DSC_42292.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 65
I actually just sold my freshwater crawdad. Australian Red Claw. She was about 6 inches long, and that put her at about half her adult size. I'd have kept her just for shock value, but I'm planning on converting my freshwater tank to a paludarium.
So, is this tank a cold water setup for the lobsters? I missed what else is in it.

Back
Top Bottom