Ghost tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a tank with platy in for about 3.5 years. I had many fry until I removed the males, this left me with a small number of females - 8 which were healthy and happy. In the last month they have started to die off, leaving only 3. The last one lay on the bottom, head down so I euthanised it with clove oil
The live plants are thriving and I have been changing 50% of the water weekly although the water seems fine
Of the 3 left I hardly see them as they constantly hide. They do eat when they think I’m not about and have blood worms and peas along with their dried food
Watching my tank it looks empty as the 3 left have their own hiding places. I don’t want to add any more fish as I no longer want to keep them. I check them 3 are ok as I disturb them when I’m cleaning the gravel.
Do I just continue until they die?

If your heart isnt in keeping fish any more could you sell the tank, equipment, aquascape, livestock etc as a job lot? There has to be some value in a functioning tank with everything you need.

If you just want something pretty with low maintenance to look at with a few plants and fish then carry on doing what you are doing. If its the 17g you have posted about previously you probably dont need to change water 50% weekly. You could do 30% weekly or 50% every 2 weeks. If you are keeping the fish just make sure you look after them while they are in your care.

Thanks for replying
The tank was never my idea, my son lost interest so I took them over. I have no issues doing the best for them but they don’t seem to have the best quality of life. Perhaps if I continue they’ll relax a bit and go back to their previous ways. My concern was more for them than me wanting rid of them

A few more platys would make them more comfortable, and you should see them out and about more often. But you arent really wanting to get more fish.

The fact they are hiding doesn't necessarily mean they dont have a good quality of life. It just means they are more comfortable where they are rather than swimming round the tank. IMO 3 fish together where you know they are cared for is better than giving them away and not knowing if they will get looked after.

If the fish you have left are ones you originally had 3+ years ago, rather than their offspring, they are getting on a bit, and probably towards their end of life. So let them live out their old age rather than stressing them out trying to move them.

I fleetingly considered getting more as they’re happier then but ultimately I don’t really want anymore after these
These are definitely the original fish who ironically seemed fitter than their offspring
I’ll just continue as I’m going as I wouldn’t want to give them away at this stage in their lives
Thanks for your comments

Back
Top Bottom