And I start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to self! Self don't turn off the skimmer and than expect it not to send lots of bubbles in to the tank, just like for the first two days after setting it up.

Is it not funny when the wife is telling you that, this is costing to much money! You will never finish, you will get over it! And acting like this is a waste of time and then all of the sudden you find that she is spending lots of time researching learning etc. And then all of the sudden you find that she is just as much in to it as you are or even more?

Just to break the streak of you talking to yourself I was going to say she needs to be more supportive.... but then she did come around. That is funny, my girlfriend also spends time sitting in front of my tank asking questions.

My b/f shows no interest in upgrading or building tanks but he sure spends alot of time looking at the fish and asking questions. lol He also has gotten into it a bit since he has his one saltwater fish, a mocha clown. lol he had a misbar osceallris but it went missing, you can't believe the whining he did too. LOL

It's a contagious hobby i think :)

Ok I have a confession to make! I have had fish in my tank for the 2nd half of the cycle, sorry about this but the kids made me do it! Last week I added a emerald crab as the lfs told me that they are great cleaners. They didn't tell me that they kill everything that they can get. Two fish dead and eaten by morning time and he is now eating all of the purple off of the snails. I guess I need to get him out! I need to get him out of the tank in the morning and he will be in a bag for like 6 hours before I can get him to a lfs. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I have 4 emerald crabs in my tank, and they have never bothered anyone. Are you sure the fish did not die before they were eaten, you said they were in before your tank was cycled.

I agree that it wasn't the crab. I have 3 emeralds and they never bother any fish unless the fish comes at them. Then they will defend themselves. If you saw them feeding on a dead fish they are just doing what you got them for. That is what a clean up crew is supposed to do. I suspect you have a different problem. If the fish were added durring the cycle they went through some stress. Over time, even a little bit of nitrite can stress them enough to do them in.

+ 1 on not being the emerald. Try testing the water again, and taking a sample to your LFS for reassurance. Maybe also do a water change and wait a day to test again before adding more

What kind of fish were they? Some fish fair better int brand new tanks than others. If your ammonia is at 0 and your nitrates at .25 it might be another cause. Just because your tank hasn't set for 6 weeks doesn't mean that it isn't cycled.

I just don't understand that the fish are there when I leave for work and then three hours later they are gone no body or anything, just gone. Do they eat that fast?

jjamontan said:
I just don't understand that the fish are there when I leave for work and then three hours later they are gone no body or anything, just gone. Do they eat that fast?

If you have a good clean up crew it will eat the dead fish. Also, if you have other animals check for smiles cause some fish will jump as well

Back
Top Bottom