Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anenome-is this normal?

I'm new to this hobby I started my tank about 5 months ago and added a bubble tip annenome about a month ago. He looked normal for about an hour then he moved under the rock, I assumed he was stressed so I just left him alone but I'm starting to get frustrated bc he has never looked normal and I feel like he's been in there long enough and shouldn't be stressed any more, does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4174794831.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	205069   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893733769.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	205070  

Name:	image-550437666.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	205071  

Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of lighting do you have? What's your water quality like

Old 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

I have my water checked every week at the store and they always tell me its perfect but to be honest I couldn't give u #s. I purchased a new light when I got the annenome. The box says it's a t5 high output double lighting system. I don't think the anemone gets light tho. The moved under, at 1st I tried to move him back but I couldn't so I just flipped the rock but he went under again. I feed him 1-2 of the frozen silver? Fish everyday or every other day. I feel like it could be his food
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank is not old enough for an anemone. Requires a well established aquarium. Also requires strong lighting and low nutrients.

As mentioned what lighting at you using? And what are your parameters at?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't feed your anemone. That will cause more stress.

And yes you don't have enough lighting either.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicsak90 View Post
I have my water checked every week at the store and they always tell me its perfect but to be honest I couldn't give u #s. I purchased a new light when I got the annenome. The box says it's a t5 high output double lighting system. I don't think the anemone gets light tho. The moved under, at 1st I tried to move him back but I couldn't so I just flipped the rock but he went under again. I feed him 1-2 of the frozen silver? Fish everyday or every other day. I feel like it could be his food
You may be overfreeding it? I rarely feed mine, if food wanders its way into it, so be it. They are creatures that will feed off of light. What size is your tank? Try to get more details about the lighting as well...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Oh I could be over feeding it, that's what they told me to do at the store. They also thought it was ok to get the anemone bc i hadn't had any real issues and it had been 4 months. Here's a pic of the box the light came in. I ordered my own test strips but for now I just rely on the store to check my water and the last 2 times I was in they did not write it down for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-405743837.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	205079  
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

I'm sorry and my tank is 37 gallons
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The store is there to make money. Don't trust everything they say. Do your own research and ask questions on here.

Test strips are not recommended for saltwater. They are not very accurate. Get liquid tests. is your fish store using test strips? Next time you have them test ask for numbers and ask to watch them test.

Do you know what bulbs are in your light fixture? You will probably need another of those fixtures. And probably different bulbs.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

I ordered strips but my friend works for API and he's bringing me tons of stuff including the liquid tests. I didn't kno there was a difference. I do watch them and there is only one person there I trust, he does my tests but he does use trips on everything except like 2 and I'm not sure which tests those are. So far he's not guided me wrong although other ppl in the store have. I kno how people are when they try to sell things but I truely don't think that's what he is doing bc he knows I'm going to spend money either way! Ha... So u think I need two of those light fixtures? So r u saying If I increase the light the annenome might move so that it's getting light?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com