another QT problem.....nitrites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
So what can I do if I've already QT'ed my fish but my QT tank is cycling? (high nitites) Can I do a 50% water change everday? Would that keep the ammonia and nitrites low enough that they'll survive? Sorry for the questions, but I need answers!

Its pretty normal, severity depends on the bioload.
The tank need to set up a biological cycle so unless the ammonia or nitrite spikes way up, I would just stick with a 20-25% daily water change siphoning up all uneaten foods. If it gets real bad, you can do this twice a day.
Done this quite a few times myself, as long as you do the above it should level out within a week if the tank isn't too overstocked.
What are the reading?

Nitrite reading is 12.5.....don't have a good ammonia test kit, will get one tomorrow. The bioload is massive, three fish in a 10 gallon, but it was an emergency ick situation. This QT tank is brand new, only on day two. At this rate, it will never cycle I know. But will 25% water changes daily be enough to keep the levels down?

But will 25% water changes daily be enough to keep the levels down?
Maybe not.
Another thought...you could always increase the water volume. You could get a large tupperware or garbage can and use it as a makeshift sump. I did this with my 40 gallon qt tank before (see below).
Just need an overflow and a return pump, or get a larger tank 20-30 gallon.

Attachments

• qt2_112.jpg
    qt2_112.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 188
you can use some activated carbon in tank

Which of course you wouldn't want to do if you're using copper to treat your fish. How are you treating them? How are they doing?

I am using copper....got a copper test kit, too. My nitrites kept rising and they were looking stressed so I decided to add them back to the main tank unitl my QT tank cycles.....could be awhile, I know. The problem I have now is that with all the LR I added, it's gonna be impossible to catch my bicolor pseudochromis for quarantine next time. That sucker's fast!

Back
Top Bottom