Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone ever kick off the cycle using clear ammonia?

Widely used in freshwater cycling, clear ammonia is used to control the ammonia level and begin the cycle before our friend the shrimp goes stinky in the tank.

Any opinions?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I doubt anyone has considered it.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? Actually, that surprises me, as the info on this board is quite thorough. When I was setting up my FW tanks, I read many articles on "fishless cycling", and many recommended kicking off the cycle with clear ammonia.

Can you tell me why it would be a BAD idea? I mean, chemically, ammonia is ammonia, right? (Yes, I know, ammonium ion).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have previously seen it recommended on this forum. Just be sure to get non cented or perfumed ammonia.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? Actually, that surprises me, as the info on this board is quite thorough. When I was setting up my FW tanks, I read many articles on "fishless cycling", and many recommended kicking off the cycle with clear ammonia.

Can you tell me why it would be a BAD idea? I mean, chemically, ammonia is ammonia, right? (Yes, I know, ammonium ion).

Livestock I added:

Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
steve-s

If setting up escentially a "dead tank" (no LR or LS) using only dry base materials, the ammonia additions would work fine. Conversely using LR and LS with this method would damage the ecosystem quite quickly. Due to the sudden increase and often high ammonia levels needed to make the chemical technique work properly, much of the life would also perish.

It would definately be an "at your own risk" approach.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Speaking purely from the frame of reference of chemistry and not aquaria, I'm not sure I agree that added ammonia is necessarily incompatible with LS (although it's probably unnecessary with LR, whose die-off and established bacteria will produce ammonia). A controlled addition is certainly possible (e.g., "one capful, or two?"), and the level of ammonia can be maintained at a low level until the shrimp kicks in. I would venture to guess that the added ammonia would allow first-stage baceria to "get ahead" of the shrimp, thereby accelerating the cycle, ESPECIALLY when LS is present to harbor bacterial populations.

What degree of acceleration? A few days, perhaps? Here's where I can offer no judgement, because of lack of experience with this process. However, as a theoretical exercise, it's fun, no?

Here's what we know: ammonia is not instantaneously fatal, and low levels are of course necessary to start and maintain a cycle. Ammonia is a NECESSARY component of the cycle (which is why it is really inaccurate to suggest that ammonia could ever be 0, even in a mature tank. ) Correct?

(I'm really quite enjoying this whole learning process. A friend of mine suggested today that I may not enjoy the actual tank and its inhabitants as much as I've enjoyed the buildup. Phooey! I'm loving it, A to Z)

Livestock I added:

Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used the clear ammonia method to cycle my tank and let the dead sand become my biological filter. I then added the LR which caused a mini spike which subsided quickly.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, clear, cycle, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com