Aptasia Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been watching as Aptasia has been sprouting up in my LR. Acording to what I have read, it is bad and I need to get rid of it. What is the best way to accomplish that. LFS guy says Peppermint and Fire shrimp will get rid of it.

Use either Joe's Juice or a product from Blue Life called "Aiptasia Control". In reality, I think the Blue Life product is just kalk paste, but it works great. Just put it on the aiptasia and its gone. Heard only good things about Joe's Juice also.

Peppermint shrimp may eat them, or may not. Heard mixed things about that. All I know is that I originally nuked the aiptasia with the Blue Life product when I set up my tank. After I got a peppermint, I've only had to nuke two little ones that were in between my zoanthids. The rest of the tank has been free of them. So, I think mine is doing its job.

Whatever you do, don't manually pull them out. They'll spread like wildfire if you shred them.

I use Joe's juice, make sure you turn off all water moving equipment. You have to get them in the mouth for it to work. On the shrimp, I had 2 peps and they ate one stalk and never got to the other one. I haven't heard that fire shrimps will eat them...

The article that Hara provided is a good one on how to get rid of aiptisia. There are several ways to accomplish this.

My Copperband Butterfly fish has been good to me. Ive had him for 6 months now and he ate up all my aptasia. Ive heard these fish are tough to keep. I got a lucky one

Back
Top Bottom