Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aqua C Remora Pro

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of cycling my new 75g, should i have the skimmer on during the cycle process?

I've had it on a few days and had to turn it off at night because the noise is too loud. it's like a spraying sound coming from where the water enters the remora c pro. Is this a normal sound during the 'break in' period, and will it go away?

If this sound doesn't go away, would it be fine to run the skimmer during the day and turn it off every night, or is that just defeating the purpose of having a skimmer?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
should i have the skimmer on during the cycle process?
It really does not matter. I would run it so it is that much closer to being broken in when needed.
Quote:
Is this a normal sound during the 'break in' period, and will it go away?
My Remora did quite down w/ time. Keeping the SG in the higher end, 1.024-1.026, will also help some b/c it makes the water denser.
Quote:
would it be fine to run the skimmer during the day and turn it off every night, or is that just defeating the purpose of having a skimmer?
Well it would cut the productivity in at least half but would be better than nothing. My skimmer seems to produce more foam during the night for whatever reason....HTH

Old 07-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you have an overflow box and bubble trap? What kind of pump do you have?

I have (2) remora pros one has a rio 1400+ with overflow box, it was a little loud at first but got quieter after a couple of weeks.

The other has a mag 3 on it with an overflow box its alot louder then the rio mainly because i have to keep the collection cup all the way up just to get the foam i want.

With the cup raised all the way this creates alot of noise. I want to fix it, Does any one know what i can do?

If your getting alot of noise coming from your pump i would think something is wrong. The water and glass or acrylic will absorb alot of the noise a pump makes, sometimes you can hear a slight hum from a pump underwater but thats it.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies!

The pump i am using is an aquaclear 802, which was the recommended pump from where i bought it. the pump itself isn't the thing making the noise, infact i can't even hear the pump, it's the spraying noise where the water enters the inside of the remora c pro

It's a little bit better today, so i'll see how it goes over the next 2 weeks or so

thanks again
Old 07-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie3188
Thanks for the quick replies!

The pump i am using is an aquaclear 802, which was the recommended pump from where i bought it. the pump itself isn't the thing making the noise, infact i can't even hear the pump, it's the spraying noise where the water enters the inside of the remora c pro

It's a little bit better today, so i'll see how it goes over the next 2 weeks or so

thanks again
To quite mine down I placed a folded paper towel soaked in RO water over the area where the water enters the skimmer on the inside. I replace it every week or so.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
Well it would cut the productivity in at least half but would be better than nothing. My skimmer seems to produce more foam during the night for whatever reason....HTH
I noticed the same thing with my AquaC. From a book by Julian Sprung, skimmer's performance is affected by PH at well as other factors. So i think that might explain why our skimmers work better at night (lower PH)

Tags
remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com