Are 2 heaters better than one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing lots of reading and some say to use 2 small heaters as opposed to just one.

So would it be best for a 75g to use 1 300 watt or two 150 watt? Thoughts??

The brand is
Visi-Therm Deluxe Heaters

Again, Thanks so much!

I think 2 are better just for the reason that you have backup if one breaks. Also I think if you have two the water is heated more evenly.

I run 2 250 watt in my 55. If one fails the other can run the tank alone. Just insurance. If one 150 fails you will need to notice and replace the other right away because the 150 is not enough for the 75. I would recomend 2 300 watt heaters. but yes 2 is better than 1

I think you'd be fine with two 100w heaters giving you roughly 2.5w/gallon, which is plenty unless you live somewhere especially cold. You should not need more than 225w. It is generally best to have 2-3 heaters mainly because if one malfunctions the heat generated won't be as detrimental as a single large heater. Most heaters that malfunction tend to stick in the "on" position. Also, I recommend a Ranco/Aqualogic controller for heaters ;)

I agree, but I use Finnex titanium heaters! I've had the water drain below them twice and they still work great. I also use two lesser wattage ones for redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom