Baby's First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I'm not really a baby, but it sounded like a catchy title. :silly:

Anyway, I'm Jason...I decided when I got a free 20gal long from a friend that I wanted to make it into a mini reef. Initial research said that a smaller tank like that is tougher, but I was encouraged by folks to give it a shot. I've been looking into stuff for a few weeks, but mostly what I want in it. I just realized as I type this that I'm going ask you all what to do FIRST (sand, live rock, etc) before I even have somewhat of an educated understanding of what I *should* be doing. So I guess I'll tell you what I know.

I know I have to get different filters than I have for my feshwater tanks. I know it takes more chemicals and stuff to keep a reef going, as well as lighting. I also know that it will be a decent while before I get a chance to pick those things up. :) So I have some time to research that still. I'm still cleaning out the tank itself (it sat in a garage with old rocks and junk in it for 3 years), and then I'll place it. At that point, I'd like to get some sand to put in it while I start building the filtration system and balancing the chemicals for the live rock. At least get it looking like something will be going in. I suspect it will be at LEAST December before I begin putting any live rock in there. Then the conditioning starts.

I guess I just wanted to say hi, let you all know I'll be around. I won't say much cuz I don't have anything to say, but I'll bring this thread back up here and there when I add stuff, and you all can make sure I'm doing what I should be doing. :) In the meantime, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for the community and help, and I'll keep in touch!

-j

The best advice I can give you at this point is to READ, READ, READ. In all honesty a few good books at your side will not only help you out now but will help you out for years to come as a great quick reference.

Check out the Sticky and Announcment threads under the Getting Started forum for good helpful advice on starting up a new tank.

You acutally dont need a ton of equipment to keep a saltwater tank. I have had a 20 gal mini reef running for 22 months now and I have 0 mechanical filters on the tank. If you have the correct amount of LR and LS then you wont need much more than light and water movement.

BTW, we have a few other members in your neck of the woods. Maybe they can pop in here and give you a "say hey!"

Well, I'm not from your neck of the woods, used to live in VA Beach tho, but just wanted to "say hey"!!!!!

You've found a great site here, tons of help, and mostly very friendly folks. :D

Hey........... glad to see another from our neck of the woods. Look forward to seeing your progress. I'm working on a 90 reef myself.

Back
Top Bottom