Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Battery powered pumps...Am I kidding myself?

I purchased 2 battery power pumps the other day. "just in case" am I wasting my time with them if I have a power failure? I am debating buying a generator that will power the house but they are very expensive. We never lose power more than a few hours. I live in a private neighborhood and the guy 3 houses down is a "big wheel" at the power company so we always have power before anyone else when there is a outage.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 3500 watt generator for around $300. Should run my most of my tank and fridge/freezer. Cheap investment for what I have to lose.

I have not used it yet.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a 5000 watt in 2000 for 500 and it has been a great investment. Its nice being the only house on the block with lights when the power goes out.
Not sure how much a generator costs in you area.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a generator as well. I would not keep my tank without one. I think the battery powered pumps are great to have, but I would also invest in a generator. Then again, I live on the Gulf Coast, so I am faced with Hurricanes annually.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been looking at several. Anyone have experience with the lp or natural gas ones? They seem nice and you do not have to worry about gas sitting in them forever and separating etc.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I bought a 3500 watt generator for around $300. Should run my most of my tank and fridge/freezer. Cheap investment for what I have to lose.
I'm sure glad that I ran across this thread... I too have been thinking about getting one. Not as bad of prices as I was expecting. How many watts would you recommend for a four bedroom 2-story (3,800sqft)? My reef lighting will be the biggest consumer (560 watts). I have 5 powerheds, skimmer, etc... the usual reef stuff. Where do I hook it up, the panel box? Can I do it myself or would you recommend an electrician? (I have little electrical experience, but am a fairly handy do-it-yourselfer). Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 5600 watt generator. I bought it before I got back into this hobby. Now, my wife is always teasing me that I will need a second generator for my tank and accessories, LOL. If I had the extra money sitting around, I would invest in the permanently mounted (outside the home) generator that will activate should you lose power for more than 30 seconds. That way, if youre not at home when the power goes out, you will still have power. A regular generator is uselss if youre not there to fire it up.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

for those of you with generators... make sure you test them often, and make sure you use a fuel stabilizer when you store them. the last thing you want is to have varished gasoline in your generator (or any engine for that matter)

this public service announcement has been brought to you by....

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
I have a 8500 watt Generator that I have had for a few years. I had an electrican come and wire our house so all I have to do is fire up the generator and plug it in to the house and flip a couple of breakers and we are un and running.

The only down side I see now is the cost of gas for the thing. We had a major Ice Storm a few years ago so the generator ran for about about 3 days almost none stop except to refule. Well the generator takes about 15 gallons of gas a day to run so 3 years ago when gas was 1.25- 1.50 a gallon that was not that bad but today with gas being 3.00 a gallon I'm not sure just how long we could run it.

I do agree its nice being able to look out and be the only one with power.

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine runs on fuel, not unleaded gas, and I use it regularly to make sure the fuel has not turned. I agree that you should use the stablizer in it, it will however make the gas or fuel pink, that doesnt mean it has gone bad.

Tags
pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com