Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonordy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering how long it takes to cycle the take? I have a 55 gallon tank with about 1" live sand and about 45 pounds live rock.

If you went all live rock it can take as little as 2 weeks. Break out the test kit and see what you got. Then dose some ammonia and see how long it takes to turn into trites then trates.

Hi. Welcome to the forum!!

have you introduced an ammonia source yet to start the cycle?

Also, you will need a test kit for the water to follow the cycle along, API makes a very good one for like $25.

I have got a clown and valetini puffer.

Doesn't sound like ideal situation right now. How long has the tank been setup and what are the results of an up to date water test?

It has been set up for about 4 weeks. Live rock and live sand have been in for about 2 weeks. Just got the fish Sunday. All tests show tolerable levels.

When you put the rock in the tank the cycle started. I have a feeling you are in for trouble. How many fish did you buy, and what size tank is this?

Only bought to small fish. Ph is 8.2. Ammonia is .25 or lower. Nitrate is 0-5.0. Nitrite is less than .25.

Take the fish out and cycle the tank.
You have to add an ammonia source, and then wait for that to be changed to nitrite, and then nitrate, then do a water change to lower the nitrate, then add fish. This way is just torturing the fish.
Some folks add fish as an ammonia source, and hope for the best. I find this method a bit cruel.

Take the fish out and cycle the tank.
You have to add an ammonia source, and then wait for that to be changed to nitrite, and then nitrate, then do a water change to lower the nitrate, then add fish. This way is just torturing the fish.
Some folks add fish as an ammonia source, and hope for the best. I find this method a bit cruel.

++1

It's not necessary to use fish anymore to cycle knowing what we do now. I concur with Mr X on this one. Get the fish out and cycle the tank THEN get your fish. :-D

Welcome!

The cycle time is usually varied depending on your situation, there really isn't a specific time set in stone. :)

you will know when the cycle is done after you monitor the ammonia level, then you will get nitrites, then you will get nitrates and then you do a large waterchange. then you can test by introducing ammonia and seeing if it turns to zero within 24 hours then your cycle will be complete.

If you do frequent water changes, you are interrupting the cycle. It's best to remove the fish. What fish did you buy?

Back
Top Bottom