Beginner HELP PLZ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erikmichael23

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I set up my tank a week ago and on the forth day decided to use a cromis to cycle I had no ammo levels or anything and I used aqua fin cycle...the cromis died 2 days later?..so did I even start my cycle? Not sure what to do??

Doesn't sound like it. Try waiting a day or 2 and check ur levels again.

I got live rock in there my ammo was up a tiny bit day one...other than that no spike..is this bad? Did I ruin my cycle?

You didn't ruin your cycle, it just takes time and patience when starting out. You don't want to add anything live yet, try a dead shrimp to give the bacteria something to feed on. You will have some die off from the live rock as well which will in turn feed the system. The bacteria just takes time to develop and reproduce. How big is the tank? How much live rock? What is the substrate? also type of filter system your running? there are a lot of factors, but the main one is time to allow the system to mature to a level where it can support a bioload. But always stock small making gradual changes and continue to monitor your levels. Especially before you add any live stock. Ammonia and nitrite can be lethal, even nitrate can in high enough amounts. Hope this helps!

Its a 37gal with 30lbs of araginite slowly adding rock got little over 25lbs my filter is a cascade 700 looking at getting a protein skimmer as soon as possible

I would go with a regular shrimp that you eat like from the store. When you add it you will slowly see it break down in the water and fuzz develop on it. This is a sign of the bacteria breaking it down and expanding it's numbers. It will take some time still but will be one of the better ways to cycle with no harm to anything living. Monitor your levels weekly and I'd wait at least 2 weeks before adding any livestock. Also if you can buy a couple of pieces of cured live rock to help seed your other rock already in the tank.

All my rock was pre cured...so as I follow what u said how should I go about my water changes?

And the fact that i added that nitro bacteria does that mess anything up bk I never really had any ammo in it? I just listened to the guy at the store that said I could use a cromis and the bacteria and just ended up killing the fish then felt like ****..

Yeah if he's telling you to just cycle with a fish he's looking for a sale... Let your tank spike and balance out. You will save money and headaches. Water changes I do 10% a week. But that's just how I do mine. Many others only do changes once a month or bi weekly. It's all on preference really. Oh another thing, are you using RO/DI water or tap water?

Here is a very good link about cycling your tank. It describes using a dead shrimp to get ammonia but I used pure janitorial strength ammonia instead.

You want to build up a nice colony of bacteria which is what fish in cycling does but risks the fishes life.

Cycle your salt tank

No need to, somepeople do some dont'. Anything that comes in contact with the water will have the bacteria adhere to it. The trick is to use your filter media until it is literally falling apart and not to replace it all at once when you do have to replace some.

personally I run carbon in all my tanks except for my 125g reef. i havent antied up for a carbon reactor yet and don't feel throwing a bag in the sump will do a good enough job.

Back
Top Bottom