Last weekend our local reef club had a tank crawl with 4 stops. I hosted the first stop and did an unreal amount of changes to my system... all knowing I shouldn't. However things are ok and despite the massive change nothing has died. The pool filter stand in the main display was syphoned out into the new 40g and I added 60# of live agronite fiji pink. I love the look now with the different grain sizes, shells and colors.
I plumbed in a new 40g holding/grow out tank. This has killed my flow so I ordered another 1260 which I'm adding in this weekend. 1 pump will power the chiller and right side of the tank, the other the left side. I have no idea if the equal level tanks below will be able to handle the drain flow without the gravity the full syphon has on the bean. We'll see... we're experimenting here.
I've also been experimenting with acrylic. This "coast to coast" here on the 40g is my 3rd overflow box now. I also combed the baffles on the fuge just to get more practice. I'm not quite ready to build a tank but the overflow boxes are a good learning project. The box is 1/4" black and the baffles are 3/8" clear. I' just experimenting with different thicknesses and went with a thicker baffles on the sump because the 1/4" I had before was bowing and I've already had 1 sump crack based on doing baffles wrong
The frag tank was a temporary setup for our frag raffle. The LEDs are chinese multicolor sold by our local lighting guy. I'm buying 1 for the lower tank and we'll see how it does over the next few months. I can't afford another radeon
I hooked up a 2nd 1260 this weekend and my flow is great now. I have 1 powering the chiller on the right and the other going straight to the left. If I were to do this again I'd enlarge the 2 drains connecting the 40s or I would drill a 3rd hole. The full syphon isn't very powerful, just like if you tried to syphon out your sump with a bucket a few inches lower.
I finally got my camera back and got some shots of the Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis). I have had trouble acclimating and getting these types eating well. This was my 3rd try since this summer and I finally have 2 females and a male that are happy and healthy.
I picked up an MP10 a few weeks ago and just haven't had time to mess with it. It only took 5mins to install and maybe 10 to mess with the settings. I haven't programmed it to the lights yet, maybe this weekend. I can't imagine what a MP40 would be doing in here... the flow is insane. Detritus doesn't have a chance of settling on the cap there anymore. My plan is to move this into my upcoming 56g conversion starting next month.
I had a small disaster this weekend. The center column gave way overnight and the surrounding ledges collapsed with it. Always learning I'm going back and reworking my tank as I get better so I employed an inner rod this time. The epoxy just*doesn't*hold after a*certain*amount of rock is piled up. You can see below how I drilled and added the rod in. I had to trim it a few times to get the top rock to fit well. Last 2 are the central column behind the torch and then a full shot with the new ledges on it. Not too bad... nothing hit the glass and only a few corals broke a bit which just means future frags